No software application is used by more people than the web browser. There are dozens of browsers available today, but all of them are based on the same basic architecture introduced two decades ago. In 2011, Amazon Web Services (AWS) formed a new team to take a radically different approach to this application that is so central to the daily life of billions of customers.
The modern browser is a very complex piece of software: loading assets, parsing HTML, constructing the DOM, applying layout, rendering images, and so on. What if you could move some or all of this work into the cloud, where effectively infinite resources are available to you? What if you could pre-process and analyze the entire Internet, and make dynamic decisions about how to deliver any webpage to provide the best possible browsing experience? In this challenging role, you will do just that by integrating the Silk web browser with Amazon’s cloud computing infrastructure. The technology you build will be a game changer. We are delivering the next generation of web browser to the world, and the Internet will never be the same again. Ten years from now, nobody will understand how they lived without this kind of a web browser.
To apply for this role, you should possess strong analytical, design, and problem diagnosis skills. You should have an excellent understanding of how the web works, and the ability to dive deep into browser technologies. You like thinking “outside the box”, are not afraid of ambiguity, get excited about difficult data analysis challenges, and are a motivated self-starter. You are a strong team player and thrive in a startup-like environment where flexibility is essential and delivering rock solid, customer focused solutions is paramount.
Why would you want to work for the Amazon Silk team?
- Huge Impact: Everyone uses web browsers, and you will play a big role in implementing the next-generation web browser.
- Technology convergence: Amazon Silk is a unique opportunity to get involved in multiple cutting edge technology areas: web browsers, mobile platforms, and cloud computing.
- Wear many hats: You will have deep ownership of many different aspects of the service, such as product direction, technical design and implementation, and operations.
- Learning: Work alongside some of Amazon’s most senior engineers.
- Scale: Build software systems that support millions of customers.
- Have fun: Our mantra is to work hard, play hard, and have fun. We also find ways to relax and unwind, with beer bashes, team events, and lunches. You can also participate in a multitude of Amazon corporate events.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 8
- rs relevant work experience
Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design and problem solving
Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
Knowledge of at least one additional modern programming language such as C++, C#, or Java
Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
Ability to mentor team members as well as build relationships with business and technical leadership
** For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com **
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive.
- Experience building and operating online services and fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) a plus.
Amazon strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. By...