Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile, portable, hand-held consumer electronics products, like the Kindle and the new Kindle Fire. The products we design and engineer are easy-to-use and offer users benefits that are only made possible through tightly integrated digital technologies and wireless connectivity.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in design, development, test, and deployment of a range of products on mobile platforms. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will be helping to hire and build your team and systems.
- Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery.
- Responsible for the over-all systems development life cycle of a key product sub-system.
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team of engineers within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team.
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals.
- 7+ years experience building successful production software systems.
- 2+ years people management experience.
- Experience working with networking or communications devices in an embedded environment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time.
- The ability to take raw product requirements and develop software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
- Experience porting firmware to new hardware platforms and integrating new hardware capabilities.
- Extensive knowledge of the Linux kernel and experience adding new hardware drivers.
- Mastery of the tools of the trade, including a variety of modern programming languages (Java, C/C++, Objective C, Python) and open-source technologies (Linux, SQLite, OpenGL, busybox).
- Development experience on mobile platforms such as Google Android, WebOS, Windows Mobile, Apple iPhone and RIM Blackberry. Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects.
- Strong business and technical vision.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Lab126, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, is an equal opportunity employer.