The Software Engineer codes software applications to adhere to designs supporting internal business requirements or external customers. Standardizes the quality assurance procedure for software. Oversees testing and develops fixes. Has knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. May review and coach the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude required. The engineer will be a member of a small project team that develops sophisticated enterprise wide applications. The New and Custom Development Team adheres to agile software development principles throughout all phases of the software development process. The Software Engineer contributes primarily through programming expertise, but is expected to be an integral part of all team activities. Additionally, the Software Engineer is expected to work with developers from other development teams to ensure continuity and leveragability of architecture and design.
- Provides technical assistance and coaching to lower level developers to ensure that they follow the appropriate technical/process standards and that previous lessons learned are leveraged by current projects.
- Responsible for collaborating and providing guidance in planning, designing, programming, documentation and implementation of new and existing system architectures and software applications.
- Design and develop programming systems making specific determinations about system performance.
- Work with developers from other development teams to ensure continuity and leveragability of architecture and design.
- Adhere to agile software development principles throughout all phases of the software development process – gathering and reviewing user requirements, database and application design, coding, testing, installation and maintenance, internal and external customer training and product rollout.
- Expected to conduct system analysis and development, to keep systems current with changing technologies.
- Responsible for analysis of current programs including performance, diagnosis and troubleshooting.
- Responsible for developing new programs and proofing the program to develop needed changes to assure production of a quality product in addition to analysis of current programs and processes, and making recommendations which yield a more cost effective product.
- Writes, edits, and debugs new computer programs for assigned projects
- Review and repair legacy code.
- Tests new programs to ensure that logic and syntax are correct, and that program results are accurate.
- Document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made in database tables on procedural, modular and database level.
- Respond promptly and professionally to bug reports.
- Promote customer services according to company standard.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions and strategies.
- Completes all responsibilities as outlined on annual Performance Plan.
- Completes all special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
- High school and technical school training or equivalent BS/BA degree desirable, preferably in Computer Science or Information Systems.
- Five to seven years solid working experience in information systems working with the .NET framework using C#, XML, XSL, HTML, JSCRIPT, ASP.NET, ASP and T-SQL in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Solid, long-term experience in a senior developer role with a thorough understanding of project cycles, software development environments, full cycle n-tier object oriented design and development and source control (VSS)
- Experience with SQL Server, MS SQL Service Broker, SQL Reporting Services, Oracle, Windows Services and Web Services, N-unit and Image processing / document management experience is a plus
- Exhibits good judgment and is able to recommend and produce solid solutions for a wide range of complex problems
- Strong written and oral communication skills and possess a positive attitude
- Environmental, Health and Safety, Chemistry or Chemical knowledge, a plus
3E Company, a subsidiary of Verisk Analytics (Nasdaq:VRSK), offers a comprehensive suite of data, products, and services for environmental...