Work with a Linux backend and MySQL databases to handle ingestion and calculations that turn raw weather data into valuable insights.
Develop advanced level software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas, following the Scrum development framework.
Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and proposed solutions.
Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
Improve operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
Proactively update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques and computing equipment.
As part of Scrum - improve operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
Provide information by collecting, analyzing and summarizing development and service issues.
Develop advanced level software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas, following the software development lifecycle.
Collaborate with UI designers and other software engineers to build web apps and other deliverables from mockups and requirements.
Analyze ongoing support needs and update scrum deliverables and team behavior
Come up with cool new ideas, not just be a heads-down coder.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BS Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent.
- 5 years of relevant software development experience, with demonstrated achievements with progressive responsibilities in developing web-based products.
- Experience using C# and working in an MVC framework.
- Experience with Linux and OOP.
- Experience with patterns and best practices for writing and organizing code and components.
- Good understanding of UI principles.
- Extensive experience in all major browser development/debugging tools.
- Familiarity with SQL.
- Experience with Perl a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Agile software development methodology.
- Advanced programming skills consistent with technical requirements of the role.
- Comprehensive knowledge of software design, debugging, documentation and testing.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical people (verbal, written, wiki, and white-boarding).
- Good knowledge of cross-browser HTML and CSS.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or keyboard; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and talk or hear. The employee must be able to see differences in widths and lengths of lines such as those on graphs and be able to read, write and interpret written documents.
Work Environment: Employee will work in a typical office environment, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues.
About The Company: WSI Corporation (“WSI") is the world’s largest supplier of real-time weather data, imagery, and weather forecast services to commercial customers in the broadcast media, aviation, energy, insurance, and government markets. Headquartered in Andover, Massachusetts, with offices in Madison, Wisconsin and Birmingham, England, WSI Corporation is the professional division of The Weather Company and owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms, The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. WSI is also the innovation engine of The Weather Channel, providing the display software and data services used continuously since their first day on the air.
In 1978, WSI became the first private weather company to computerize raw weather data and package it into customized formats. Over the past 35 years, WSI has expanded upon this core competency to deliver state-of-the-art systems and value-added weather information that are unequaled in the industry. WSI holds over 35 U.S. patents and has produced a steady stream of notable industry innovations, including:
WSI offers comprehensive benefits, generous PTO, and a development environment that is respectful of your work/life balance.
- Developing the first national U.S. radar mosaic
- Creating value-added charts from raw computer model data
- Offering the marketplace the first international satellite imagery
- Developing the first digital satellite network for briefing pilots
- Providing the first complete, high-definition weather graphics system to television stations
- Introducing comprehensive, Web-based weather information service for the aviation and energy marketplaces
- Developing a professional systems-level product to track hurricanes and typhoons;
- And now, successfully launching the most popular station-branded weather app in the world with more than 100 million viewer downloads and counting.
WSI is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.
WSI Corporation - 30+ days ago
WSI Corporation is the world's leading provider of weather-driven business solutions for professionals in the energy, aviation and media...