Whitepages is the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S. Our suite of products includes a top-40 consumer website, popular mobile apps with over 9 million active users, and a range of enterprise SaaS enterprise products. And with just ~120 staff – each of us has an exceptional opportunity to make an impact. You love working with data, and embrace all facets of working with large complex data sets
You have a unique combination of analytic, engineering, and communication skills that allows you to address all aspects of making data valuable, and Whitepages has a unique challenge for you.
- Understanding the data – what is it trying to model, and what are its strengths and weaknesses?
- Asking the right questions – how do you formulate the right hypothesis, design the right experiment, run the right test?
- Interpreting results and communicating them effectively – what did the analysis really tell you, and what should we do next?
- Implementation at scale -- able to assemble the data required to do analyses, and able to work with engineers to put your insights into production
The Whitepages data graph is both rich (representing complex relationships between people, addresses, phone numbers, businesses, and other contact information like email addresses and social networks) and large (storing more than 2 billion data elements and interpreting 1.5 billion pieces of data per month). As a key member of the data team, you will be responsible for understanding and improving the quality of the Whitepages contact graph.
As a Data Scientist at Whitepages you will:
This is a high-impact position in a small engineering organization, and is a great opportunity for a statistician / data scientist looking to apply state of the art analytics and statistical programming to make huge improvements to the Whitepages key data asset.
- Work with other engineering and business groups providing insights that help them do their job better
- Design experiments leading to a better understanding of the data graph and ways to improve its accuracy and coverage
- Evaluate new data sources to determine how they might improve data quality
- Act as the company authority on statistical methodology and experimental design
- Develop machine-learning and other algorithmic models that allow us to do better at processing our data
Requirements for this position:
- Degree in statistics or related field (e.g. a social-science discipline with a quantitative focus)
- Significant experience in a role requiring both analytic and data management skills, demonstrated by delivered projects
- Experience in a startup environment requiring quick decisions and results desired
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby)
- Experience with standard statistical packages (e.g. R, MATLAB, SAS)
- Experience with SQL databases
- Strong analytic skills with special emphasis on experimental design and hypothesis testing
- Strong written oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate technical concepts and results to a non-technical audience
Whitepages is the leading source for contact information in North America and is at the forefront of developing services that help people find, understand and verify personal and business identities in an ever-changing digital world. Whitepages is committed to empowering users with control, safeguarding the accuracy and authenticity of digital identities, and advancing transparency. With over 50 million unique monthly users, Whitepages offers access to more than 200 million personal identities and provides users with the ability to control their own. Whitepages also operates Whitepages PRO, an API and web-based service, which helps businesses verify the identities of their customers. To learn more, visit http://www.whitepages.com .
We have strong company values and culture and would love to share why ours is an opportunity worth considering. We appreciate and respect diversity, and are an equal opportunity employer.
Whitepages - 30+ days ago
copy to clipboard
Whitepages is the leading source for contact information in North America and is at the forefront of developing services that help people...