Under direction of surgical nurse, this position performs fairly complex surgical technician duties utilizing specialized knowledge acquired through formal training. This position is assigned surgical technician support to several specialty surgical areas within the Health System. Duties also assigned to this position may involve verification of specialty equipment and inventory, contacting surgeons concerning equipment, and supply companies and their vendors about malfunctioning or broken equipment as well as providing continuing education in-service to staff. This position collaborates with nursing for preference card construction and may serve as a resource to other scrub personnel.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in an acute/main OR in a hospital setting.
- One (1) year of approved Surgical Technician specialized training and/or surgical technician certification.
- Basic Resuscitation Training (BART) or Basic Life Support (BLS) at time of hire with commitment to get BART within six (6) months of hire date.
- Demonstrated knowledge of maintaining a therapeutic environment for patients undergoing surgical procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide variety of surgical instrumentation used in various surgical procedures.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing and be able to articulate complex ideas for all levels of audiences.
- A self-starter who is accountable and requires minimal direction and supervision; a person who is open to new ideas; and an innovative and flexible individual who is comfortable working in a large, complex organization.
- Personal characteristics of professionalism, credibility, commitment to high standards, discriminating judgment and accountability.
- Recent knowledge of ortho sports service.
University of California - San Diego - 2 years ago