Is responsible for managing the planning, coordination, configuration, installation, and management of all network servers and related client services within the enterprise to meet business requirements. Designs and implements enterprise servers, including infrastructure and mission-critical applications. Has key responsibility for the identification and resolution of hardware and software technical problems and malfunctions related to network enterprise infrastructure and related all related servers. Makes decisions that are critical in the areas of throughput analysis, problem solving, and server infrastructure planning, with the potential to affect the successful execution of business transactions. Proactively researches and locates necessary tools and processes to identify troublesome trends as they develop. Ensures a stable performance environment for the enterprise systems. Participates in various IT projects intended to continually improve/upgrade the enterprise servers.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline (or equivalent combination of formal education and experience).Master's degree is desirable.
- Four to six years of related experience in mission-critical enterprise server environments performing network engineering (hardware and software), and designing, planning, and implementing servers and infrastructure using the latest technology.
- Minimum of three years of experience in AIX or True64 or Linux configuration, design and analytical work.
- Professional certifications such as MCSE highly desirable.
- Thorough understanding of distributed systems architecture and comprehensive knowledge of multiple technical disciplines. Excellent technical knowledge and aptitude in the areas of networks, network topologies, PC workstations (configuration and connectivity), network file servers, applicable software, and troubleshooting techniques
- Ability to solve enterprise server issues and to manage the performance and capacity of a LAN/WAN environment. Demonstrated experience in effectively managing small to large projects in a cross-functional environment. Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs
- Understanding of the enterprise business and business processes; knowledge of business unit functions and cross-group dependencies/relationships
- Ability to anticipate user requirements and identify and resolve complex problems with minimal supervision; strong customer service and communications skills
- Good judgment and analytical skills; strong follow-up and organizational skills. Ability to conduct and prepare feasibility studies; develop client proposals, including estimates for costs, time, and resources; prepare statistical reports; complete cost/benefit analyses; and conduct business. Ability to assess internal and external communication practices, anticipate future network requirements, and research and analyze emerging technologies. Demonstrated knowledge of the following technical knowledge/skills are mandatory, including from among the following:
- * Hardware: IBM, Sun, HP, and Compaq
* OS: AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, True64, and Linux
* Design: Security, Perl, DNS, RAID, Operational automation, and Clustering
* Desktop: Windows NT/2000, Windows 95/98, Microsoft Office 97/2000, Netscape Mail, Symantec anti-virus and Microsoft Explorer, FTP, Telnet
- A broad range of technical knowledge/skills are desired, including from among the following:
* Network: TCP/IP, IPX, SNMP, Ethernet, routers, hubs, switches, and security protocols.
* Technology: Citrix, VPN, Visual Basic, SMS, Exchange, and Radius
- Familiarity with NT systems desirable.
Boston Medical Center - 11 months ago