Using the highest degree of skill, initiative and judgment, the successful candidate will lead the technical effort for the NSLS-II X-ray Powder Diffraction (XPD) beamline by designing, developing, fabricating, installing and testing highly specialized equipment and components for the beamline. Components range in complexity from simple mechanical supports to intricate optical assemblies and include building, installing and commissioning extremely sophisticated mechanical, vacuum, and electrical equipment. Work also includes effective planning, servicing, troubleshooting, calibration and repair of intricate scientific equipment. In the longer term, the lead technician will be the principal point of contact for beamline maintenance and upgrade, user support and for developing and building sample cells and supports.
This work will enable the scientific staff and beamline users to perform complex experiments which will be the benchmark of the XPD beamline. Work will be performed in a team environment with scientists, engineers, designers, machinists, and other technicians and will involve being the point of contact with equipment suppliers. This position requires the highest technical skills acquired from years of experience working in a synchrotron environment on various high profile beamlines. This position will also require the ability to maintain accurate records of beamline operating conditions and procedures, fabrication and assembly activities, and be the principal individual responsible for all operational, maintenance, and inspection procedures. Due to the highly sophisticated scope of responsibilities, it is expected that this position will also become engaged in experimental research challenges at XPD and will have the latitude to propose and develop innovative technical solutions and instrumentation that a technician at the highest level is expected to engage in.
- The equivalence of a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related scientific or engineering field
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant work experience at a synchrotron facility or a large accelerator facility that includes at least five (5) as an Advanced Technical Associate or equivalent.
- Demonstrated competence in the installation, commissioning, and maintenance and debugging of beamline components and systems and experimental apparatus.
- Ability to understand and work with mechanical and electrical drawings and circuit diagrams
- Hands-on experience with vacuum instruments and techniques
- Work experience with mechanical fabrication practices, mechanical tools and machine shops, including mechanical fitting and turning
- Working knowledge of engineering fundamentals
- Ability to work from engineering blueprints, sketches, and verbal instructions to develop, assemble, modify, fabricate, test, calibrate, inspect, troubleshoot, and install/remove components and equipment in vacuum, cryogenic and radiation environment.
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Excellent safety practices
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills, ability to work effectively as part of a team composed of individuals with diverse technical and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to follow written procedures and codes
Please apply to Job ID# 16342.
- Hands-on experience with cryogenic systems
- Familiarity with x-ray instrumentation including optics, beam transport, diagnostics systems, vacuum systems.
- Experience with x-ray sample cells, e.g. high/low temperature environments, gas/liquid flow cells, high pressure cells, extreme environments (brines, hazardous gases).
- Ability to carry out a variety of mechanical and light electrical assembly tasks, including soldering, crimping, cabling and rack wiring
- Experience with integrating commercial scientific instruments and low voltage control equipment (e.g. temperature controllers, motors and actuators, motion controllers,
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On-site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
BNL is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
Who We Are
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of...