THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED. HOWEVER, APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY MAY 19, 2013 WILL RECEIVE FIRST CONSIDERATION.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking a Senior Transportation Specialist to lead the Local Projects and Grants Section of the Transportation Planning and Project Delivery Division.
Reporting to the Division Manager, this position is responsible for planning, management and delivery of programs and projects that align with the City's multimodal transportation policies. Direct and indirect staff includes Associate Civil Engineers and Associate Transportation Specialists. The position serves as the Division's representative with other departments in the City, consultants, developers, other jurisdictions and agencies, Planning commission, City Council representatives, and the community. Key responsibilities include the following:
- Provide leadership and management of development, capitol, and regional projects.
- Secure grants to fund capitol improvement projects and implement and manage grant funded projects.
- Manage, implement, and modify transportation planning policies for the City.
- Lead and supervise engineering, technical and non-technical staff by establishing goals, tracking performance, creating a positive work environment, maximizing staff development opportunities and providing appropriate recognition.
- Manage, design, and implement transportation elements in the Envision San José 2040 General Plan.
- Conceptual development of transportation infrastructure and master plans.
- Assist the Division Manager with the budget preparation, personnel, and training matters.
- Represent the Division Manager at meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
- EDUCATION: A Master's Degree in transportation planning, city and regional planning, urban studies, civil engineering, or closely related field.
- EXPERIENCE: Five years of increasingly responsible experience in transportation development programs including two years of project management.
- LICENSE: Possession of a valid California's driver's license.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- JOB EXPERTISE - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- CONSTRUCTIVE ENERGIES - A demonstration of energy and drive that comes from within, and a willingness to approach all aspects of work with a generally positive attitude. The inclination to independently take appropriate action rather than waiting to be told what to do. Examples of Constructive Energies include but are not limited to: enthusiasm; honesty; integrity; empathy; dedication; reliability; proactive approach to work; respectful demeanor; confidence; ethical behavior; willingness to help others.
- DECISION MAKING - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities. Uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
- LEADERSHIP - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, encourages and rewards risk-taking, allowing others to learn from mistakes.
- POLITICAL SKILL - In taking action, demonstrates an understanding and consideration of how it will impact stakeholders and affected areas in the organization.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT - ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
- SUPERVISION - sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources.
- TEAM WORK & INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
1 -Do you have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master's Degree in transportation planning, city and regional planning, urban studies, civil engineering from an accredited college or university? YES NO If yes, please describe your education, including degree and field of study, and relevant experience equivalent to a Master's Degree.
2 -Do you have five years of increasingly responsible experience in transportation development programs including two years of project management? YES NO If yes, please describe your transportation development and project management experience and dates.
3 - Do you have experience writing competitive grant applications? If yes, please describe.
4 - Do you have experience developing detailed schedules and budgets for grant funded CIP projects and other local and/or regional transit and highway projects?
5 - Do you have experience preparing professional service contracts, agreements, council memos and other transportation related reports? If yes, please describe.
6 - Do you have experience administering consultant contracts? If yes, please describe.
7 - Do you have experience coordinating with local and regional agencies including VTA, Caltrans, and Metropolitan Transportation Commission as it relates to managing grant writing and managing grant funded projects? If yes, please describe the experience you have with each of the above mentioned agencies.
8 - Do you have experience with the City's Traffic Impact Analysis process and CEQA requirements? If yes, please describe.
You may answer these questions directly in the on-line application system or on a separate document and then cut and paste your answers into the appropriate spaces when prompted.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Sandra Castellano (email@example.com).
Employees in this classification are represented by City Association of Management Personnel (CAMP).
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
City of San Jose - 15 months ago