The Senior Vice President/Chief Nursing Officer works closely with the President/CEO to execute the organization's Mission, Vision, Strategic Plan, Budgets and Operating policies. This position is responsible for the overall planning, organizing, operating, coordinating and directing the delivery of patient care services. Responsible for coordination of nursing standards of practice throughout the organization. Responsible for formulation of and implementation of operational policy and procedures necessary for the delivery of safe and efficient quality nursing care.
Responsibility: Actively supports and advances the Quality Work Plan for improving performance in department/unit and programs for purposes of making ACH better.
- Develops quality improvement processes that include goals and performance targets.
- Plans, implements and evaluates specific improvement activities.
- Obtains and uses data to drive and support quality improvement initiatives.
- Communicates the quality work plan to staff and incorporates changes to support the effectiveness of the plan.
- Leads and supports ongoing activities that promote safe practices and a safe environment.
- Promotes the use of Safety Tracker and internal reporting tools for proper recording of safety issues.
- Manages staff compliance with requirements for CMS, Joint Commission and other regulatory bodies.
- Monitors proper documentation for meeting regulatory compliance standards related CMS, Joint Commission and other regulatory bodies.
- Uses information gathered from staff reporting to help guide, direct and revise improvement activities.
- Holds self and staff accountable for assigned duties as reflected in performance evaluation processes.
- Holds staff accountable for compliance with safety practices, policies and regulations.
- Deliberately incorporates front-line staff into existing groups and meetings to engage all levels of staff in improvement activities.
- Supports and allocates time/resources for the development of staff in building competence in improvement activities.
- Participates in advanced leadership development and training in quality improvement processes.
Responsibility: Talent Management - Building Effective Teams by attracting highly skilled workers, integrate new staff to their jobs and into the organization, and develops and retains skilled workers to meet current and future business objectives.
- Coordinates a hiring and selection process that is fair and equitable in its evaluation and placement of the most qualified individuals for meeting job-specific and departmental needs.
- Recognizes talent and hires the best people from inside or outside of ACH;
- Follows fair and equitable hiring and selection processes in accordance with ACH policy and procedures.
- Maximizes resources to provide employees with tools, resources and an environment to succeed.
- Creates a climate in which people feel valued and want to do their best;
- Engages direct reports, team or project members in work/projects;
- Provides timely information people need to know to do their jobs;
- Fosters shared-decision making;
- Assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions with clear objectives and measures;
- Distributes workload appropriately and holds staff accountable for performance standards.
- Maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results
- Treats direct reports equitably; acts fairly;
- Speaks openly and honestly;
- Accepts feedback openly and takes responsibility for own actions;
- Addresses problems timely and provides "actionable" positive and corrective feedback to others;
- Takes corrective action when necessary;
- Implements development plans for employees that will strengthen current and future capabilities and enable them to contribute fully in their job role and the organization.
- Engages in coaching and mentoring techniques for successful succession planning;
- Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments to staff;
- Assesses individual challenges and deficits while encouraging staff to accept developmental opportunities;
- Assist staff in constructing development paths based on individual career goals.
Responsibility: Fiscal Management and Resource Utilization
- Prepares, justifies and administers departmental and program budgets
- Understands the hospital's financial processes;
- Manages department/program financial processes to ensure alignment with strategic goals;
- Takes ownership of key planning, budgeting and forecasting processes for areas of responsibility;
- Monitors financial performance through key indicators;
- Succeeds in achieving maximum results with budgeted resources;
- Maximizes and manages allocated resources to achieve desired departmental and program results (staffing, space, equipment and supplies).
- Develops and implements systems, procedures and processes in order to improve financial management in areas of responsibility;
- Prioritizes resource utilization against key indicators and operational needs;
- Uses cost-benefit and value thinking to set or change priorities;
- Holds self and others accountable for operating within annual budgets;
- Engages staff in efficient utilization of resources and reduction of waste.
- Leads strategies to improve financial performance for assigned areas and hospital, including expenses, revenue and productivity.
- Instills financial management accountability through better accounting of assets and liabilities, accurate tracking of expenses and revenue;
- Implements strong controls to mitigate waste, fraud, and abuse;
- Drives improved quality through improved efficiency at lower costs;
- Promotes innovations to preserve or extend the life span of products or processes;
- Identifies and implements other avenues to achieve financial savings and improved service delivery, including initiating changes in processes and programs that are not functioning to the highest capacity.
Direct the Design and Development of Clinical Services
- Designs, develops, implements, and maintains an effective and efficient patient care delivery system based on an understanding of technological/clinical advances in nursing practice and professional practice in other departments within Patient Care Services.
- Defines standard of care that meet accrediting agency standards, professional practice standards and which provide outcomes acceptable to all customers.
- Ensures that systems for evaluating quality of care and standards of practice are developed and implemented throughout Patient Care Services.
- Ensures that patient care delivery reflects current trends and information available in health care literature.
- Participates in development, implementation, and evaluation of institution's mission, goals, and objectives with the Governing Board and Medical Staff Executive Committee.
- Ensures that operational plans within Patient Care Services reflect the institution's strategic plan.
- Provides direction for annual review and revision of goals and objectives for Patient Care Services and evaluation outcomes.
- Directs the design and development of clinical practices which are responsive to patient needs.
- Create an environment with a patient-centered focus; support staff participation in process improvement and empower staff to make decisions to improve the patient and family experience.
- Develop organizational policies which govern the practice of nursing.
Master's degree or equivalent degree
• Field of Study: Nursing Note: Must be a graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing with MSN; or actively pursuing MSN if (by hire date) within six months of having degree conferred.
15 years total experience required
which includes 15 years of senior management experience in a hospital setting experience
RN License (AR or Compact State)
• Candidate must possess at time of hire
Certified in Executive Nursing Practice (CENP) (Certification)
• or Nurse Executive (NE-BC) (Certification) or Nurse Executive-Advanced (NEA-BC) (Certification)
Demonstrated competence in nursing practice, and application of skills in teaching, research, management and administration.
Competence in nursing practice, teaching and managment. Understanding of research principles and evidenced-base nursing practice.
Demonstrated ability to develop staff and improve quality and clinical excellence
Demonstrated ability to establish goals and priorities and manage multiple deadlines and tasks.
Ability to collaborate effectively with medical staff at all levels.
Excellent interpresonal, analytical and communication skills.
Demonstrated decision making skills
Written and verbal communication skills
Physical Activity - Stand
Physical Activity - Walk
Physical Activity - Sit
Physical Activity - Talk or hear
Physical Environment - Inside Office Environment / conditions
Lifting/Pushing/Pulling Weight - Up to 25 pounds
Noise Level - In general, the noise level for this position is considered to be:
Arkansas Children's Hospital - 15 months ago
As the only pediatric medical center in the state, Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH) serves the youngest Razorbacks from birth to age...