URC seeks a Senior Writer /Editor to create print media copy, video and telemarketing scripts and other written communications that increase mental health and substance abuse awareness. Working with The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) this position will assist in increasing the public awareness about mental and substance use disorders.
Individuals with mental and/or substance use disorders experience high rates of trauma, unemployment, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, discrimination, poor health outcomes, and early mortality. Despite promising new approaches, little improvement has taken place and these individuals remain continually marginalized and excluded from their communities. Additionally, prejudice and discrimination have been identified as major impediments to social inclusion.
· Participate in creative meetings, generating ideas and contributing to the development of the offer, concept, and creative execution determined for the project.
· Search out facts and stories that illustrate the need and build a case for support.
· Based on the strategy determined at the creative meeting, create copy that motivates and inspires people to want to participate in solutions to various needs.
· Interact with clients, research needed information and get a handle on the manner and tone in which the client wants to communicate.
· Interact well with peers and supervisors. Be a team player.
· Organize resource to create a functional store of needed information.
· Communicate graphic concepts to Sr. Creative Director and graphic artists for projects that are being written.
· Analyze response data and make recommendations and judgments based on conclusions.
· As requested, coordinate freelance writers, writing workflow or other administrative or management tasks.
· Actively seek to keep abreast of new developments in the fields of direct response, fundraising and marketing.
· Completes projects within budget and given time parameters set by the Production/Traffic Manager and Sr. Creative Director.
· Very creative mind, able to tell a story in a manner that elicits a response.
· Emotive writer who lets the drama of a photo or the story of a person reach his/her heart and touch deep emotions.
· Logical thinker.
· Good organizational skills.
· Able to make things happen — not tied to bureaucratic structures.
· Solid judgment and decision-making ability.
· Good interpersonal skills.
· Able to think on his/her feet during interviews and other spontaneous situations.
· Computer literate — comfortable with word-processing programs and the Internet.
· Ability to manage junior writers.
· Minimum four years of direct response experience required.
University Research Co., LLC (URC) University Research Co., LLC where dedicated professionals provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. URC’s expertise centers on maternal, newborn, and child health; HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; nutrition and infant feeding; and vulnerable children and families. It approaches the challenges rising from these health areas through quality improvement, health system strengthening, behavior change and communication, and research and evaluation.
URC's approach recognizes that human behavior is complex and results from a combination of context-specific influences, including environmental factors, social norms, health policies, the quality of health services, and individual knowledge. For this reason, we apply a systematic, continuous process shaped by evidence and feedback to develop and monitor multi-level, multi-media health communication and behavior change interventions that are part of our projects in over 45 countries.
URC is an E-Verify Employer
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.