The City Manager's Office is seeking a motivated and experienced individual to join the City Manager's Budget Office. The Senior Executive Analyst position will be responsible for 1) a complex operating and/or capital budgetary analysis assignment(s) for a City Service Area and City department(s), including budget development, analysis of revenue and expenditure projections, and coordination and presentation of budget information; 2) support to the Budget Director, City Manager, Assistant City Manager, and Deputy City Managers with professional analytical and administrative work of considerable difficulty, including financial analysis, policy research and report writing, and/or 3) City-wide performance measure coordination and oversight. The position will also assist or be a section lead in the preparation of the City's annual Operating and Capital Budgets, Fees and Charges Report, Annual Report, Mid-Year Budget Review, Five-Year Forecast, and Monthly Financial Reports. This position may supervise Analysts and/or support staff as assigned. This position will be expected to work extensively additional hours - both weeknights and weekends, several times during the year for the preparation and release of several key budget documents.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to successful completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university and four (4) years of professional level analytic and/or administrative experience. A Master's Degree in public administration, business administration or related field is preferred, and can be substituted for a portion of the required experience.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
* Knowledge of theory, principles, practices, and techniques of public business, fiscal, and personnel administration;
* Knowledge of City of San Jose's policies and procedures, including very complex laws, regulations, rules and practices pertaining to the City's administrative processes;
* Ability to develop, implement and administer operating and/or capital budgets, including performance measures;
* Ability to analyze volumes of data and develop solutions;
* Ability to understand and quickly identify key issues related to decisions and recommendations, to make recommendations in difficult and complex situations, and to develop consensus;
* Ability to manage multiple projects with short deadlines, while preserving high quality of work with an attention to detail;
* Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment;
* Effective communicator and presenter who is persuasive, straightforward, and proactive in addressing and responding to sensitive issues;
* Ability to stimulate and motivate individuals and groups to achieve desired goals;
* Politically astute with a commitment and loyalty to the City organization and community;
* Strong computer and written and oral communication skills; and
* High energy and enthusiastic individual who displays a positive can-do attitude, and is committed to high customer service standards.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job-specific questions. You must answer all job-specific questions and complete the Education/Work History section of the application in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the positions will be forwarded to the interview phase of the selection process.
You will be prompted to answer the following questions in the on-line application:
1. Do you have experience working in local government(s) that includes working with Executive Management, government bodies and/or City Councils, and the community? Please describe your experience working in local government(s), including your level of experience working with Executive Management, government bodies and/or City Councils, and the community.
2. Do you have budget development and fiscal management experience with a municipal or other governmental unit? If yes, please describe. If you do not have governmental budget and fiscal management experience, please describe your transferable skills and experience with equivalent details. Your response should include the following: 1) the number of year's experience you have in budget and fiscal management including the size of budgets managed, number of appropriations and other relevant information; 2) Capital and/or operating budget preparation (base, proposed, and adopted budgets) at program and detail level; 3) Expenditure monitoring and projection; 4) Familiarity and/or experience with accounting systems used to track revenues, expenditures and fund balances.
3. Do you have experience with report preparation of a project that you have recently completed? If yes, please describe a major report or project that you have recently completed. If the project or report included the analysis of data, describe how you have retrieved the data and what tools you used to analyze the data, how the information was used in the report, and your specific role in the report preparation.
4. Do you have experience coordinating with stakeholders who do not report directly to you? If so, please describe an assignment that you were given which required a quick turnaround and coordination with key stakeholders who did not report to you. What was your role? What was the desired outcome? What would you do differently if the actual outcome differed from the desired one? In addition, identify what you think are the most critical factors in building trust and respect with stakeholders?
5. Do you have experience with direct and/or indirect employee supervision, including the approaches used to train, motivate, and inspire staff, while ensuring strong staff work products and customer service levels? Describe your experience with direct and/or indirect employee supervision, including the approaches used to train, motivate, and inspire staff, while ensuring strong staff work products and customer service levels.
If you have any questions regarding the duties for this position, please contact Lisa Estrada in the City Manager's Office at (408) 535-8262, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an unclassified, salaried position, which means that the position is not part of the Civil Service system. This is a management position and is not represented by a bargaining unit.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
City of San Jose - 21 months ago