This is an entry-level, multi-divisional classification for use in the Parks Division. Under direct supervision, performs routine and semiskilled manual work of limited difficulty in the maintenance of: parks/trees or related areas. Performs a wide variety of duties related to maintenance and equipment operation. A broad range of equipment may be operated. Employees may be required to work on a 24-hour rotational shift basis including weekends, holidays and declared emergencies. Employees are on-call for emergencies after regular hours and must be willing to work overtime. Performs related duties as required.
In addition to the above, the following typical tasks and responsibilities are representative of the essential duties of the position. They are descriptive, not limiting. Essential Duties of the Parks Division:
- Operates trucks, tractors, turf mowers and other related equipment
- Works on construction projects installing equipment, irrigation systems, etc.
- Trims and prunes City street trees and shrubs at ground level
- Cuts downed limbs and trees for removal
- Maintains saws and operates spray equipment
- Removes tree trimmings and cuttings, tumbleweeds from City areas and City easements
Applications will be accepted from those applicants who clearly demonstrate on the COMPLETED City application and DMV printout that they have:
OTHER MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of: Common tools, equipment and materials used in maintenance work; operation and maintenance of a wide variety of equipment; safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the work. Ability to: Perform a variety of maintenance work; interact effectively with the public and other City staff; perform basic arithmetic; carry out routine work assignments without close supervision; understand and follow both oral and written instructions; safely operate City equipment. Perform required manual tasks. Special Working Conditions: Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions and to work in confined areas and from heights and with exposure to unpleasant and potentially hazardous conditions.
- One (1) year experience in the operation of light and medium duty vehicles such as: dump trucks, water trucks, commercial delivery vehicles, small tractors, small loaders, light construction equipment, mowing equipment, etc;
- Possession of a valid Class "C" California Driver's License. A class "B" California driver's license must be obtained within the six (6) month probationary period.
EXAMINATION: (Weighted 100%) The exam will be announced but may include one or more of the following: written exam; oral exam; evaluation of education, training, experience or other qualifications as shown by the application, or by other information submitted, or by the record; questionnaires submitted to references; or any other appropriate measure of fitness. A minimum passing score of 70% is required.
***NOTE: Admission to the Examination(s) may be limited to those applicants who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications. Applicants possessing the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed admittance to the Examination. Employment applications must be properly completed in accordance with instructions on face of application form. All pertinent information needed to determine that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications must be shown on the application, supplemental questionnaire, and DMV printout otherwise, the application will be rejected. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completed application***.
City of Bakersfield, CA - 22 months ago