This is manual labor responsible for minor maintenance of City vehicles/equipment in the Central Equipment Agency Division of the Department of Public Works. Work involves inspecting and performing minor maintenance on City vehicles/equipment and performing miscellaneous duties in emergency situations. Work is performed under regular supervision of the C.E.A. Fleet Manager.
Examples of Duties:
(This section does not list all of the duties performed in the positions of a particular class and usually, with the exception of single position classes, no single position will include all duties listed.)
• Inspects vehicles and performs minor maintenance, preventative maintenance and repairs including oil changes, lube work, etc.
• Performs necessary snow and ice control, including filling of the trucks with material.
• Maintains building security.
• Makes occasional part runs.
• Performs miscellaneous duties on an emergency type basis such as barricading flooded streets, patching holes in roadway, collecting forgotten refuse, etc.
• May assist mechanics as required.
• Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
Requires some experience of a mechanical nature and some training beyond the high school level or an equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Knowledge of equipment mechanics, parts, tools and methods of repair.
• Ability to drive a truck and other heavy equipment.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written instructions.
• Ability to make minor decisions and follow through to corrective action.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public, and to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner.
• Ability to withstand a variety of temperatures; good physical condition.
• Ability to properly barricade work sites in accordance with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) standards.
• Required to respond for emergency operations.
• Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with the N endorsement.
• Ability to obtain and maintain the Preventative Maintenance and ASE Brake Certification within 12 months of hire.
This position works 20 hours per week. Hours are flexible betwen 1:00 p.m. - midnight.
The successful applicant will hold an ASE-Medium/Heavy Truck Brake Certification and Preventative Maintenance Certification or have the ability to obtain them within 12 months of hire.
A commercial driver's license with air brakes and trailer endorsement along with a good driving record are required.