Lafarge North America seeks a Shift Supervisor for its Presque Isle Quarry, located in Presque Isle, Michigan. Position is responsible for the direction and administration of maintenance and repair of all stationary and mobile mechanical equipment. Also directs the hourly maintenance workforce to accomplish preventative maintenance and repair and restoration of all mechanical equipment in a timely manner. This position is also responsible for coordination of parts purchasing and supplies inventory, responsible for the safety, welfare and training of maintenance employees, and assists in maintenance planning. Also responsible for daily production quotas and ship loading.
1. Daily communication with Manager, Production as it relates to his production requirements, scheduling, downtime, etc., in order to operate the quarry in the most effective and productive manner.
2. Supervise, guide, direct, evaluate and train assigned personnel.
3. Stripping and extraction monthly to correspond with quarry plan.
4. Monitor daily production, shot layout and patterns, drilling operations, blasting operations, safety, staffing, labor relations, primary crushing, and ship loading.
5. Monitor blasting when in loading process through detonation to ascertain safe practices are being employed.
6. Keep all benches and all elevated roadways properly bermed to prevent any vehicle or person from running off the benches or roads.
7. Maintain all haul roads and travel ways, keeping them well graded to expedite the safest and most expedient traffic flow.
8. Maintain quarry water pumping station system from the quarry to its discharge points.
9. Maintain an ecological balance with surrounding environment.
10. Insure that preventive maintenance is performed on all assigned equipment as prescribed.
11. Maintain blasting and extraction operations so as to minimize moving the loading equipment from area to area frequently.
12. Observe and train equipment operators in sound, efficient operating habits in order to obtain and maintain the best loading and hauling cycle time.
13. Maintain adequate inventory of sized rip rap, based on sales forecast by size, by month.
14. Maintain areas of responsibility in a neat and orderly fashion, displaying good housekeeping practices.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Primary focus of the position is to supervise and train employees to develop safe work habits and practices in their quest for achieving production quotas and attaining their assigned improvement objectives, such as improved cycle times and equipment utilization.
Education and Work Experience:
A minimum college education (Preferred, but not required), preferably mining engineering or equivalent education/work experience and a minimum of three to five years related experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
Position requires the ability to gain comprehensive knowledge of quarry blasting and stripping operations, primary crushing operations, a general knowledge of supervisory principles and practices, and Company, State and Federal safety programs. Position is both managerial and technical, allowing latitude to cope with most operating/blasting problems, conferring with supervisor on unusual problems, and requiring excellent human relations skills when dealing with employees and neighbors.
Job-Specific Competency Profile (Lominger):
- Problem Solving
- Timely Decision Making
- Priority Setting
- Conflict Management
- Action Oriented
- Fairness to Direct Reports
- Motivating Others
- Building Effective Teams