California Institute of Technology
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The individual hired for this position will coordinate shipping/receiving and stockroom functions for the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. The individual will also provide support to Divisional Purchasing Office by handling recurring monthly charges and placing non-inventory items for chemicals and supplies. As noted in the basic qualifications for this position, the individual hired may be required to work additional hours on an as-needed basis.
Stockroom, Shipping and Receiving Duties:
Prepare incoming goods for delivery throughout the CCE Division. The items received will be matched to packing slips and purchase orders to ensure full or partial shipment.
Deliver all items received to appropriate lab drop-off points throughout the CCE Division.
Perform online receiving and complete all computer entry/paperwork for accounts payable and Caltech computer systems. Prepare documentation to facilitate payment of invoices, keeping accurate records and logs.
Identify all mis-shipments (overships,underships, wrong or broken items). Contact vendors and arrange returns/replacements/credits. Obtain appropriate authorizations for replacements/credits and pack and ship items accordingly.
Process all outgoing Division shipments. Prepare bills of lading and other shipping documents as required. Interact with Caltech Transportation Department to arrange shipments.
Interact with researchers and vendors to eliminate bottlenecks and solve problems.
Enter data for dispersals into inventory tracking program and
Oracle WIC program. Update pricing when necessary.
Ensure that Shipping/Receiving/Stockroom area is clean and safety requirements are met.
Handle alcohol dispersals, ensuring accuracy of records.
Coordinate laundry services for Division. Provide a pick-up/drop¬ off point for dirty and clean laundry. Ensure that lab coats are properly marked.
Order and maintain appropriate inventory levels of gas cylinders for stockroom. Will handle the ordering of liquid nitrogen and liquid helium tanks for the researchers on a daily basis, maintaining proper records for billing purposes.
Order Dry Ice for various labs and keep appropriate records for billing purposes.
Help maintain the electric delivery cart, securing cart when not in use and maintaining power charge.
Provide a pick-up/drop off point for Division audio/visual equipment. Maintain a log of equipment loans.
Coordinate vacation and other paid leave schedule with co-¬
worker to ensure coverage of duties.
Will participate in Campus committees relating to various job duties, providing information, ideas and solutions to problems relating to shipping, receiving, stockroom and safety functions.
Order replacement bulbs for projectors and coordinate
installation. Track down missing items.
Handle dispersal of photocopied material for courses to students.
Handle all recurring Division monthly charges, e.g. Matheson
Gas, Laragen, etc.
Communicate with researchers and staff regarding their needs and help define those needs as appropriate. Ascertain other information (location, account, deadline, etc.) and place orders directly with vendors on a regular basis.
Cheerfully and helpfully answer inquiries from Division personnel regarding status of orders; and, answer telephone inquiries from vendors for further information needed to fill orders.
- High school diploma or GED certificate plus 2+ years of related work experience.
- Must secure and maintain a valid driver license during employment to pick up and deliver packages and/or supplies off campus when necessary and regulary operate the department campus electric cart.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds of equipment and supplies.
- Must have the ability to perform a significant amount of walking between buildings on and off campus to deliver and receive laboratory equipment and/or supplies.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, interacting well with faculty, students, staff and vendors. Excellent telephone manner a must.
- Attention to detail, not only while ordering to ensure correct items are procured, but also while receiving, making sure that items received are correct, that packing slips and purchase orders match and are properly handled and secured until in the hands of researchers.
- All facets of the position require patience, ability to deal with people under stressful circumstances. Excellent communication skills, accuracy, and a calm demeanor are required.
- Proficient skills using a computer and calculator.
- The regular schedule for this position is Monday through Friday, 1 p.m to 5 p.m. The individual selected for this position may be required to work additional hours on an as-needed basis.
Previous experience with Caltech Internal systems preferred.
Mac computer experience helpful.
Business background with some purchasing experience preferred.
Some college level coursework.
Familiarity with the language of chemical compounds and apparatus.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency