Job Title: Shop Foreman
Dept: Sacramento Service
Pay Range: $ 41,000 - $ $52,000
Supervise daily activities of vehicle repair and maintenance operation to ensure proper performance and safety of all district vehicles.
Valid California driver’s license (preferably class B commercial)
1. Advanced knowledge of automotive mechanics and maintenance
2. Ability to operate equipment and tools involved in vehicle repair
3. Ability to lift heavy equipment and vehicle parts
4. Ability to direct and supervise personnel and coordinate shop operations
5. Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
1. Five years’ experience in vehicle repair and maintenance procedures
2. Supervised 15+ full-time technicians
3. Cummins Diesel and Natural Gas Knowledge
4. Strong Technical background
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Maintenance and Repair
1. Use diagnostic equipment to evaluate mechanical problems in vehicles.
2. Rebuild, replace, or repair vehicle parts such as engines, brakes, transmission lines, electrical assemblies, and accessories.
3. Assign priority and process vehicle repair work orders.
4. Evaluate and recommend all repairs. Provide cost estimates.
5. Assign all vehicle repairs to personnel and oversee completion.
Shop Foreman Job Description
6. Arrange contract repairs when work cannot be performed in shop.
7. Assign or perform welding and minor body work to keep vehicles operating.
8. Perform routine vehicle maintenance and preventive care.
9. Establish preventive maintenance and care schedules.
10. Locate and requisition all parts needed for vehicle repair.
11. Contact vendors to check on availability of parts/supplies.
12. Discuss mechanical problems with other mechanics and help them solve repair problems.
13. Inspect work performed by mechanics in overhaul and repair of district automotive equipment.
14. Review and approve completed work orders.
15. Perform state safety inspections for all district vehicles.
16. Operate tools, equipment, and machinery according to prescribed safety procedures.
17. Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, climbing, etc.
18. Follow State/Federal and OSHA Laws
19. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
20. Operate bus as needed and be familiar with bus routes.
21. Assist in training new drivers.
Inventory and Equipment
22. Keep shop, equipment, and tools in safe operating condition.
23. Order equipment and supplies and maintain accurate records.
24. Recommend replacement of existing equipment.
25. Conduct annual inventory of physical equipment and supplies.
26. Supervise cleaning of buses by washing crew.
Shop Foreman Job Description
27. Direct the upkeep and appearance of shop and parking lot area.
28. Work irregular hours and respond to after-hours emergency calls as needed.
29. Assist in preparation of department budget.
30. Assist in recruiting, screening, training, and evaluation of shop employees.
31. Maintain accurate information for payroll reporting (time cards, tardiness, and absenteeism).
32. Understand laws and regulations on transportation and safety.
33. Other duties as assigned.
Supervise and evaluate work of lead mechanic, mechanics, and fuel tech employees..
Small hand tools, drills drill press, grinder, air-powered tools, torch, jack, lift equipment, and video monitoring equipment. School bus and district vehicles.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Moderate walking, standing, climbing, heavy lifting, carrying, stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. Work outside and inside, around moving objects, and with vehicles and machinery with moving parts. Frequent exposure to dampness and humidity, toxic chemicals, exhaust fumes, gasoline, and diesel fuel.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.