Stony Brook University has established itself as one of America's most dynamic public universities, a center of academic excellence and a leader in health education, patient care and research. Listed among the top 1 percent of all universities in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Stony Brook is home to more than 24,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff, including those employed at Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island's premier academic medical center and teaching hospital. With 597 beds, Stony Brook Hospital is the region's only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory.
Descriptive Title: Simulation Center Technician
Budget Title: Instrucitional Support Associate
State Professional Position
Department: Clinical Skills Center
State Line#: 24606
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: $46, 000 - $60, 000
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field. In lieu of degree, a combination of education and directly related experience in managing and providing technical support services in a Windows network environment totaling four years may be considered. Two years of full time experience with trouble shooting and maintenance of computer hardware and software, database use and data entry/maintenance, data base searching with data retrieval, business desktop applications, report generation, web browsers, email communication, and internet applications. Interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to lift computer hardware and other simulation equipment.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in an academic/training environment. Medical training or experience in a health care related field. Knowledge of audio/visual (AV) equipment and software for recording, duplication, mixing, and editing. Experience in video production (e.g. filming, editing, and transcoding).
Brief Description of Duties: The Simulation Center Technician is responsible for the management of the computer system/network in a state-of-the-art Medical Simulation Facility. This includes maintenance, upgrades, and troubleshooting of a Windows based network environment including network hardware such as servers, workstations, cable infrastructure, as well as software including specialized simulation training software and standard office software on the Clinical Skills Center's (CSC) computers.
Assisting with preparation for standardized patient activities:
- Provide day-to-day operation, basic repair, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Center's computer and network systems and equipment including specialized simulation software (Bline), standard office software, servers, and AV equipment.
- Assist in the technical system's design, policy, planning and support.
- Operate the CSC's software/technical systems in order to administer/execute a clinical learning activity or structured clinical examination for standardize patient simulations.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for all installations, repairs, diagnoses, and troubleshooting of CSC software system and computer equipment in the CSC. Will communicate with appropriate vendors to perform technical and warranty services including installation, maintenance, and upgrades. Maintain a record of all repairs, replacements, and upgrades upon completion and inventory information of servers, desktop services, computers, and equipment.
- Responsible for website development, design, and revisions.
- Provides technical assistance, support, feedback, and training to faculty, instructors, and staff in the use of simulation software system, reports, data entry, etc. This includes creation of brief training documents and resources.
- Participate with the Center Director to continue to build and develop the capabilities of the CSC, evaluate new equipment, identify opportunities for technological improvement, incorporation of the electronic patient record, and the policies that govern the Center.
- Assist with video-conferencing activities.
- Support/assist with clinical simulation equipment and activities as needed.
- Participate and receive technical training as needed.
Management of system date/videos and posting activity reports:
- Responsible for the building of projects, cases and case/project revisions as necessary and enters standardized patient case materials into CSC software system (Bline).
- Coordinates and assists CSC staff with the technical equipment and/or the preparation of clipboards, facesheets, participant flows, and other equipment needed for learning sessions.
- Performs routine checks on system prior to clinical learning activities.
- Assist in providing access and authorization to CSC software system for CSC Staff and faculty.
- Send out links to students for video viewing as directed by faculty.
- Prepares requested reports after clinical learning activity distributes to the appropriate faculty.
Special Notes: This is a full time appointment, 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Some night and weekend work is required.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University
- 2 years ago - save job