Stony Brook University has established itself as one of America's most dynamic public universities, a center of academic excellence and a leader in health education, patient care and research. Listed among the top 1 percent of all universities in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Stony Brook is home to more than 24,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff, including those employed at Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island's premier academic medical center and teaching hospital. With 597 beds, Stony Brook Hospital is the region's only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory.
Descriptive Title: Simulation Clinical Coordinator
Budget Title: Instructional Support Specialist
State Professional Position
Department: Dean's Office, School of Medicine
State Line#: 20941
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: $77, 000 - $96, 000
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree. Five years of clinical healthcare experience. Experience working with multicultural students, faculty and/or staff in areas such as training. Medical knowledge from healthcare experience as a Paramedic or Nurse. Ability to work in a fast paced and at times, a high stress environment. Strong customer service skills. Ability to work independently on self-managed tasks and reach projected goals and deadlines, along with working well as a part of a team. Proficiency in the use of computers (e.g. Windows XP software). Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's degree. Certifications in BLS, PALS, and ACLS. Experience in simulation or related experience in a education/training environment . Experience in a critical care setting. Computer troubleshooting skills. Experience in the development and coordination of educational programs.
Brief Description of Duties: The Simulation Clinical Coordinator will organize participant simulation learning activities under the supervision of the Clinical Simulation Center Medical Director . This individual will work with the faculty to meet the specific learning needs of a variety of learners using simulation training such as high fidelity simulations and use of task trainers. The Simulation Clinical Coordinator will work closely in a collaborative relationship with faculty and learners in the teaching of clinical skills and providing feedback on clinical performance. This incumbent will strongly focus on the enhancement of the scholarship of the Center’s training, research, and evaluation. This position will be responsible for the following:
- Under direction of the Clinical Simulation Center (CSC) Medical Director, consult with faculty, physicians, and staff to develop simulation scenarios.
- Coordinating all external business and simulation courses offered in the Clinical Skills Center (CSC) .
- Conduct training sessions for healthcare professionals and healthcare students using high fidelity mannequin simulation scenarios and partial task trainers. Perform debriefing sessions for high fidelity simulation participants (students and healthcare professionals), analyze the results and evaluate the effectiveness of the simulation training.
- Assist with designing cases to be used for high fidelity simulation and test-run them on the simulators to ensure they perform well enough to meet educational needs of the program/course.
- Keep a database of all simulation cases.
- Participate in SP activities as needed .
- Assist in training of SPs and cases.
- Develop policies and procedures under guidance of Center Director.
- Assist the CSC Medical Director in the development of the budget for the Surgical Simulation Center and the budget for the Clinical Skills Center .
- Serves as a clinical resource for staff in the CSC for any simulation activity as needed.
- Compile and submits reports as directed.
- Assist in the development of educational and research activities.
- Operate the Surgical Simulation equipment/simulators and software.
- Attend any Surgical Simulation Center meetings and meetings related to the functioning and scheduling of activities in the Surgical Simulation Center.
- Coordinate the daily operations of the Surgical Simulation Center under the direction of the CSC Medical Director including: setting up skill stations and simulations as required, conducting ongoing inventories of supplies, simulators, equipment and make recommendations to CSC Medical Director for the acquisition of new supplies, organizing any previous/new allocated resources and, coordinate activities and maintains CSC Calendar.
- Performs other related duties and tasks as directed.
Special Notes: This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Night and weekend work is required.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University - 17 months ago