Under the direct supervision of the Security & Grounds Lead or designee, the Security Officer /Skilled Laborer position is responsible for the maintenance, care, beautification, and security of Medical School buildings and grounds at Jamaica Plain.
- Maintain and beautify the grounds, tasks include lawn mowing, trimming, pruning, fertilizing and planting
- Maintain and repair sidewalks, roadways, and parking areas, tasks include sweeping, striping, and paving
- Receive and guide visitors at the security post. Prevent unauthorized entry to the building
- Monitor buildings, equipment, and provide directory assistance using computer software
- Perform snow removal tasks, tasks include shoveling, plowing, sanding, and snow blowing.
- Clean, wash, repair, refuel, and operate and maintain grounds equipment such as front end loaders, lawn mowers, sweepers, trimmers, snow blowers, chain saws and other related equipment on campus
- Store parts, equipment and supplies maintained by the Grounds Department and Administration
- Move furniture, files, furnishings, and performs similar tasks
- Protect and safeguard the personnel, buildings, grounds and equipment
- Make periodic rounds of the buildings checking for evidence of vandalism, breaches of security, performance of refrigeration equipment, and other equipment failure
- Enforce parking policies by monitoring for employee parking permits and/or parking in restricted areas and issue warning notices, as necessary.
- Respond according to established protocols in cases of breaches of security and/or safety, vandalism or equipment breakdown emergencies
- Receive laboratory specimens delivered from hospitals and physicians on nights, weekends, and holidays. Log and store specimens as instructed
- Answer incoming telephone calls nights, weekends, and holidays to provide information requested by users of the laboratories’ services or to put caller in touch with those who can provide information
- Inspect fire-fighting and other safety apparatus (e.g. fire extinguishers, safety showers, alarm systems, fire lanes, etc.)
- Maintain directory boards, meeting boards and safety information boards
- Ensure appropriate signage remains in place throughout the interior and exterior of the facility
- Provide backup coverage for watch personnel and telephone operators
- Perform other duties as required.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Possess a hoisting license or have the ability to obtain within 3 months
- 3 years’ experience performing landscaping and security
- Working knowledge of common tools required for maintenance, landscaping and upkeep of grounds
- Ability to operate small trucks, automobiles, and equipment
- Basic computer skills; including Windows, Excel, and Microsoft Office
- Able to work in all weather conditions