Social Worker - PACT
Department of Veterans Affairs - Seattle, WA

This job posting is no longer available on Department of Veterans Affairs. Find similar jobs:Social Worker jobs - Department of Veterans Affairs jobs

Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):

To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.

How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?

As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.

Special Employment Consideration:
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.

is a Bargaining Unit Position


U. S. Citizenship

Must pass pre-employment examination

English Language Proficiency required

Background and-or Security Investigation required

Selective Service Registration (if Applicable)

At the GS-11 level applicants must possess a full unrestricted license

incumbent is assigned to Social Work Services at the VA Puget Sound Health Care
System, Seattle Division. The Social Worker functions as an independent
professional and is responsible to provide a variety of services for Veterans
assigned to a Primary Care Provider Specialty clinic or program, to include but

not limited to:

Works as a member
of an interdisciplinary Treatment Team in the Primary Care, Specialty Care
Clinics or programs.

Independently providing direct services; psychosocial assessment of
patient/family needs in relation to the interdisciplinary treatment planning
and service delivery.

Coordinate treatment as appropriate.

Address HIV pre/post testing counseling in accordance with the standards of
their work area.

Provide individual, family and group counseling as appropriate.

Assist patients and their significant others with coping and dealing with loss
and grief.

Provide consultation/education to Veterans and families on community resources,
advance directives and VA benefits.

Act as a consultant to other team/staff members.

Provide a full range of social work services with commonly accepted standards
of social work practice to include case work, discharge planning, counseling,
case management and other services as appropriate.


Coordinates community-based
services, including information and referral for additional services from other
VA programs, other government programs and community agency programs.


Other duties as assigned.

Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday 8:00am -

Department of Veterans Affairs employees will receive first consideration.

Recruitment/relocation incentives have not been authorized.



: Must be a US

Have a Master’s degree in social work from a school of social work
accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.

Be licensed or certified at the Master’s level to
independently practice social work in a state.


VA may waive the licensure and/or
certification requirement for persons who are otherwise qualified, pending
completion of state prerequisites for examination.

VA social workers who are not licensed at the
time of appointment must be licensed or certified at the Master’s level, within
3 years of their appointment as a social worker


1 year from the day
they meet the full requirements of the state for licensure or certification,
whichever is longer.

Those who fail to
obtain state licensure or certification within the required time frames must be
removed from the General Schedule (

social worker series.

This may result in
termination of employment.

English Language

Social Workers must be proficient in spoken and written English.

basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met to

determine grade level of the position:
Must meet all basic requirements.

addition to meeting all basic requirements, 1 year of professional social work
experience, equivalent to the next lower grade level, under qualified social
work supervision.

This experience must
have been in a clinical setting and must have demonstrated the potential to
perform advanced assignments independently.



Clinical social work experience obtained prior to completion of the
requirements for a Master’s Degree in Social Work does not satisfy this

A clinical setting is a medical center,
clinic (medical or psychiatric), a residential treatment center, or any other
type of facility where social work participates in collaborative treatment and
is identified with the medical profession.


addition to meeting basic requirements, a doctoral degree in social work from a
school of social work.

A doctoral degree
in social work from a school of social work may be substituted for the required
1 year of professional social work experience in a clinical setting.


To receive credit for education completed outside the
United States, you must show proof that the education has been submitted to a
private organization that specialized in interpretation of foreign educational
credentials and such education has been deemed at least equivalent to that
gained in conventional U.S. education programs.


Applicants must be physically and mentally able to efficiently perform
the essential functions of the position without hazard to themselves or

Applicants must meet
the minimum qualifications as stated in VA Handbook 5005/25, Part II; Appendix F7
dated 4/15/2002, available at


Standard Social Worker GS-185.

APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website:

All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.

Veterans' Preference:
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit


Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.

Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at


This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.

This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.

Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave:
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.

About this company
1,099 reviews
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...