Do you want to play a role in changing the scientific publishing industry? Do you believe in Open Source software and the Open Access movement? Do you want to join a subversive revolutionary force in science publishing? Do you want to help make the world’s scientific and medical literature a freely available public resource?
PLOS is using the best of web technologies to revolutionize scientific publication. We are looking for several talented and creative Ruby on Rails software engineers to join the PLOS development team in our San Francisco office. You’ll be working within a small, cross-functional team that includes both researchers and designers in addition to working with other staff from PLOS and outside consultants and advisors.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Work in an agile, test driven, pair programming environment.
- Research and adapt new technologies quickly in a dynamic work environment.
- Participate in shaping the platform architecture.
- Work with the Product team to define new features and create technical requirements.
- Field questions from an online Open Source community.
- Extensive experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Extensive understanding of HTML5, CSS, Ajax, jQuery, JSON
- Database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, noSQL)
- Experience in building a high-volume, highly available, distributed web application in a hosted environment.
- Strong OO design skills and an understanding of design patterns.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Intellectual curiosity, positive attitude, and pride in your work.
- Experience with an Agile, test driven development, pair programming environment a plus.
- Contribution to an Open Source software project is a plus.