LearnVest is looking for a sharp mid-level server-side developer to join its growing technical team in New York City. We need the best of the best, someone who has never met a problem they couldn’t solve, the kind of programmer whose pride keeps her awake until she finds that perfect bit of code (or dirty little hack) to get the project back on track. We need someone that loves to write elegant code but even more than that, loves to make things WORK. We need a coder who’s still growing in the profession but already sees things through the eyes of an architect - someone who thinks about the big picture no matter the task. We need a developer that always codes with performance, scalability, and concurrency in mind. We need a hacker who reads code like a book and enjoys digging into unfamiliar source, someone who can debug another’s code as easily as they can debug their own. In short, we’re looking for you!
You’ll be working a maturing start-up where everyone still digs in like it’s day one. Here you’ll be moving at the kind of pace you love: fast. The team is still relatively small, so don’t worry about getting pigeon-holed here - you’ll be expected to wear many hats and encouraged to contribute in all phases of development and architecture. Everyone here is extremely talented and a growing expert in their field. At LearnVest you’ll never have to feel like you’re the only one giving it everything you’ve got.
LearnVest’s back-end architecture spans a variety of technology stacks, including enterprise Java, MongoDB, Node.js, Python, PHP and Hadoop. This role initially involves working on our analytics platform, but you will get the chance to work on any or all of these back-end technologies over your time here.
- Work with the LearnVest analytics team on the development of internal applications focused on building out solutions to manage and organize the companies vast data sets
- Work with the main Learnvest development team to aid in the delivery of other core Learnvest projects
- Collaborate with senior technical team members on design and architecture of new features, feature enhancements and general improvements to the application.
- Participate in the overall maintenance of the application, including bug fixes, performance enhancements and runtime production support.
- Write clean, well-documented and unit-tested code and have a nose of performance and efficiency.
- As needed, generate technical documentation for various aspects of the application, mostly on the company wiki
- Work with all members of the Learnvest office, including sales, marketing and executive leadership to help deliver time-critical solutions
- 2+ years hands-on experience with Core Java
- Experience with Enterprise Message environments and multi-threading also advantageous.
- Hands on experience with Relational Databases and specifically be very comfortable with SQL
- Hands on experience with Unix or Linux, scripting (bash, csh etc)
Nice to haves:
- College level Mathematics or Engineering background (especially statistics) preferred.
- Experience with Messaging and the Java Spring Framework
- Experience with NoSQL, Data-mining, Analytics packages (Google Analytics), search and sorting algorithms i.e. MapReduce
- Understanding of clustered environments, resiliency and data sharing
- Able to communicate effectively with peer and management
- Experience working in a development team
- Must love working with large datasets and problem solving
- A drive to succeed and deliver
- Experience working in a startup
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
LearnVest - 18 months ago