If you want to make a positive difference and stand out from the crowd, you’ll fit in at The Standard ( www.standard.com ). Through our retirement plans and insurance products and services, we help people achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Come join us and share our passion for serving our customers in a positively different way.
The Software Engineer job family brings an engineering approach and discipline to the task of developing and supporting software systems to meet The Standard’s business needs. It covers engineering of both internal and external-facing software systems in support of the Insurance and Retirement Planning lines of business. The software engineering role is expected to bring both depth and breadth of knowledge to the creation of sustainable software solutions to ensure the company’s automation needs are met both now and in the future. Software engineers provide expertise across the entire software application lifecycle, including not only development and acquisition projects, but also in operational support and maintenance. Software engineers utilize skills across requirements analysis, architecture, design, coding, debugging, testing, integration, and deployment. They are expected to be knowledgeable and able to function smoothly with other related disciplines, including Quality Assurance, Configuration Management, and Project Management.
- Participate in the entire software lifecycle: definition, design, coding, testing, debugging, installation and ongoing support of software applications.
- Complete documentation and procedures for installation and ongoing maintenance.
- Interact with users and system analyst to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications to software applications.
- Ensures software is optimally integrated with the rest of the technological environment and consistent with best practices.
- Identify, analyze, and provide recommendations and solutions for engineering initiatives, and organize and conduct working groups with the right participants to address any given initiative.
- Demonstrate detailed working knowledge of middleware, web technologies, and infrastructure enabling applications.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with other team members, business customers and vendors.
- Solve complex, cross-functional issues that cross many groups.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Provide leadership and consulting for software engineering efforts – including the definition of standards for design and coding.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or related field preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Software engineering experience with web, client server and mainframe technologies.
- Solid understanding and proven experience with building distributed systems.
- Ability to use critical thinking in order to solve complex business issues with software engineering solutions.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple work efforts to meet customer expectations in line with project delivery dates and system enhancement deadlines.
- Proven communication, documentation and presentation skills to effectively communicate information to customers and to all levels within the organization.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience with Java, J2EE, Websphere Portal, Websphere Application Server, Web Services
- Experience with databases and SQL: Oracle, SQL Server, PL/SQL, DB2
- Preference for additional experience with legacy technologies: COBOL, SAS, JCL, Unix, Korn Shell, OS390 platform, AS400 platform
KNOWLEDGE: Uses skills as a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of industry practices and company policies and procedures; resolves a wide range of issues in imaginative as well as practical ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented, journey-level position.
- Experience with web based architecture patterns: SOAP, HTTP, REST, JSON
- Experience with integration technologies: MQ, Message Broker, Data Power, Cast Iron
- Experience with supporting IDEs, tools, utilities: RAD, Team Foundation Server, Expediter, File-Aid, Toad
- Experience utilizing automated build and deployment tools such as BuildForge
- Experience with Blaze Rules Engine
- Experience with .NET, Visual Studio, VB
- Experience with C++
- Experienece with SalesForce (APEX)
JOB COMPLEXITY: Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Interacts with senior internal and external personnel.
SUPERVISION: Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
EXPERIENCE: Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience. In some companies, the requirement will be less.
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
StanCorp Financial Group - 17 months ago
Providing insurance and related financial services is standard operating procedure at StanCorp Financial Group. Through Standard...