Reports to Olga Antezana
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Software Engineer’s role is to design, execute, assess, and troubleshoot software programs and applications. This includes configuring, coding, developing, and documenting software specifications throughout the project life cycle. The Software Engineer will also oversee system startups in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide support to other departments where required.
Strategy & Planning
Acquisition & Deployment
- Collaborate with analysts and designers in the development and initiation of new software programs and applications.
- Oversee the quality assurance of program logic, data processing, and error resolution.
- Develop an awareness of programming and design alternatives.
- Take an active role in cross-departmental projects when needed.
- Direct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Interact regularly with managers, clients, vendors, and agencies to field queries and questions.
- Research, document, and implement program requirements and specifications.
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Run and monitor performance tests on new and existing software for the purposes of correcting mistakes, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Administer diagnostic analysis of test results and deliver solutions to critical areas.
- Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of application development best practices.
- Gather statistics and prepare and write reports on the status of the programming process for discussion with management and/or team members.
- Determine, develop, and maintain user manuals and guidelines.
- Install software products for end users as required.
- Liaise with company’s software and hardware suppliers for prompt rectification of any problems or emergencies.
- Liaise with network administrators, systems analysts, programmers, and other software engineers to resolve any defects in products or company systems.
- Write and/or delete programming script to enhance functionality and/or appearance of company Web site and Web applications as necessary.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades for optimal performance of company workstations.
Formal Education & Certification
Knowledge & Experience
- College diploma or university degree in the field of business administration, computer science, accounting, or management information systems science.
- ITIL or CMMI Certification, preferred.
- Minimum 5 years related work experience in a Software Engineer role.
- Strong development skills in Microsoft SQL Server T-SQL, Oracle PL-SQL, JAVA and/or .Net.
- Minimum 3 years working experience on at least one of the following: Unix, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, and/or Windows NT.
- Minimum 3 years working experience with relational databases (MS SQL, Server, and/or Oracle).
- Demonstrated strong working expertise on medium complexity software development projects/initiatives.
- Demonstrated working knowledge/expertise in analysis and innovative, creative solutions design.
- Demonstrated strong working expertise in functional/technical solution specifications on medium complexity software development projects/initiatives.
- Demonstrated strong working application/software knowledge including support/maintenance, administration, configuration, etc.
- Demonstrated working knowledge in project documentation including flowcharting, swim lanes, ROI, training, etc.
- Demonstrated project management skills on multiple projects including WBS, estimations, budgets, resource management, etc.
- Participated in at least one vendor research/evaluation (RFI/RFP/POC).
- Demonstrated experience in test management including test cases/scenarios, logging, etc.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools.
- Demonstrated working knowledge in elicitation and business requirements.
- Hands-on software troubleshooting experience.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Health Care experience, preferred.
AvMed Health Plans is a Drug/Tobacco Free Workplace EOE
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Adept at conducting research into software-related issues and products.
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
AvMed Health Plans - 13 months ago