Software Usability Engineer-Sr
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc, www.idexx.com – is currently hiring for a
Senior Usability Engineer
IDEXX is a leader in pet healthcare innovation, serving practicing veterinarians around the world with a broad range of diagnostic and information technology-based products and services. IDEXX products enhance the ability of veterinarians to provide advanced medical care, improve staff efficiency and to build more economically successful practices. IDEXX is also a worldwide leader in providing diagnostic tests and information for the production animal industry and tests for the quality and safety of water and milk. Headquartered in Maine, IDEXX Laboratories employs over 5,000 people and offers products to customers in over 100 countries.
Senior Usability Engineer
The 9-person User Experience team works on a wide range of interfaces including touch screen-enabled medical analyzers, web applications, mobile apps and desktop software.
If you’re looking for new challenges where every day is a new learning opportunity then this job may be for you!
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A key contributor to user experience initiatives and projects, this position:
- Assesses needs of individual usability projects and selects appropriate research, modeling and evaluation methods to utilize.
- Works with product managers, interface designers, and development staff to plan and design research activities.
- Plans, designs, executes, analyzes results and reports findings from research.
- Coordinates with user interface designers and product team to develop innovative and effective approaches to user experience challenges.
- Manages an archive of user research and test results, identifying patterns in the results across the data.
- Researches business and industry to build understanding of user requirements and develops and implements user experience policy and standards throughout Company product line.
- Working cross-functionally with internal customers and development teams (proficiency with “devspeak” is a plus)
- Advocates for user-centered design process and contributes to overall user experience of Company products through knowledge of usability methods. Advances Company understanding and incorporation of usability concepts and methods.
Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent combination of education and experience; knowledge of information science, human factors design, cognitive psychology, usability, technical writing or related fields preferred.
related experience with usability engineering and interaction design, with a depth of demonstrated experience in contextual inquiry, user/process modeling, interaction design, usability testing and other research and evaluation methods.
Experience with the full user-centered design life cycle. User research
for products and/or prior exposure to medical applications is desirable.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The successful candidate for this position will have the following skills and abilities:
Standard office environment, 15% of time will involve travel
- Ability to perform usability testing from planning through communicating results to development teams.
- Ability to perform variety of evaluation methods (e.g., heuristic reviews, usability testing, card sorts, competitive analyses, paper prototype testing, cognitive walk-throughs, etc.).
- Ability to perform user research and to model users (personas) and tasks.
- Ability to analyze research and evaluate results and make innovative and effective recommendations to the development team for improving the user experience.
- Strong meeting facilitation skills.
- Strong presentation and report writing skills.
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis knowledge, including statistical analysis.
- Ability to recognize patterns in evaluation results and make practical recommendations for changing the User Interface (UI) standards.
- Ability to operate audio/video capture technology (Morae, etc.).
- Ability to understand, contribute to and communicate IDEXX’s long-term strategy.
IDEXX attracts, rewards and inspires exceptionally talented and motivated people who are eager to participate in two of the most important technological revolutions of our time—biotechnology and information technology.
We offer outstanding opportunities for personal growth and success, and support excellence, world-class standards, and continuous improvement.
At IDEXX, we reward leadership initiative and excellence. Benefits include:
Dependent Life Insurance
Short- and Long-Term Disability Programs
Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical and Dependent)
Employee Referral Award Program
Employee Assistance Program
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Personal Growth Leave
If you are looking for a challenging work environment that unleashes creativity and energy, is refreshingly honest and comfortably casual, and offers opportunities for unmatched personal growth, we want to hear from you!
About the area:
If you are looking for the best that New England has to offer, this is the area! The area's offerings include a unique place to explore communities rich in New England history and culture, a quality of living that rivals any community in the country, excellent public and private schools, one of the finest healthcare networks in the Northeast, a city of culinary accolades, theater, art galleries, antiques, sandy beaches, mountains and four beautiful seasons! Portland has recently been nominated for “Best Town Ever” by Outside Magazine! The magazine chooses its top 10 places to live based on a balance of great culture, breathtaking scenery, reasonable home prices, low-stress living, and, of course, easy access to the outdoors.
Research & Development
Americas-United States-Maine-Westbrook ME
Usability - 30000316
Feb 4, 2013, 2:07:56 PM
Idexx Laboratories - 2 years ago
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. (NASDAQ: IDXX) is a leader in pet healthcare innovation, serving practicing veterinarians around the world with a...