Is it important to feel good about where you work? We think so. At REI, we have a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you. We all share an interest in the outdoors, and also share a commitment to taking care of the natural places where we play so they're around for generations to come. It's all part of the REI mission to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
As a Solution Architect at REI you will contribute to REI's success by planning for long-range application systems development needs, and by defining required hardware, software and infrastructure to support new and existing systems. In partnership with the Enterprise Architects, Business Analysts and Application/System owners, you will develop coherent detailed architecture models for the business and/or IT solution, and will have deep understanding of the relevant business processes and technology practices in order to facilitate and coordinate a successful delivery of the transformational solution. The Solution Architect works with the Enterprise Architects to ensure integration of business divisional systems planning with company-wide strategic initiative planning. Models and acts in accordance with REI's guiding values and mission.
Responsibilities and Deliverables:
Our diverse, professional IT organization is looking for a skilled Solution Architect to guide business units in planning for long range application systems development.
- For divisional area of accountability, responsible for maintaining the quality of the solution and assuring that the solution meets the owner requirements.
- Leads, designs, and documents the solution architecture required to support project deliverables
- Documents non-functional technical requirements (deployment, performance, recoverability, release management, capacity, monitoring)
- Determines and documents the architectural decisions that constrain the design and implementation of a solution, such as selection of technology, design and delivery methodology, and programming language.
- Provides direction to the technical team during the development and delivery of the solution.
- Ensures the solution fits with the enterprise architecture principles and guidelines.
- Verifies the content developed by the technical team during the development phase is compliant with the proposed solution architecture.
- Validates and approves the deliverables from the technical team during the development phase.
- Resolves issues related to the solution architecture; recommend alternative solutions and corrective actions.
- Settles questions concerning the content and integrity of systems.
- Participates in the development of system assurance and user acceptance testing plans.
- Participates in project planning and schedule development.
- Determines and documents the architectural decisions that constrain the design and implementation of a solution. Partners with Project Manager (PM) and Business Analyst (BA) in identifying project issues and risks, establishing contingency plans, and identifying triggering events for mitigating action.
- Partners with BAs to develop Key Project Initial Assessments (KPIA), Initial Business Cases (IBC), and Business Cases (BC) for new solutions.
- Participates in the evaluation and selection of software product standards, as well as the design of standard software configurations.
- Collaborates with Enterprise Architects to develop the technology "roadmap" (Business Initiative Roadmap) for the assigned business, and to plan the transition from the current architectural framework to the target architecture of the future. Ensures that business-level planning integrates with corporate strategic roadmap.
- Collaborates with Enterprise Architects, Business analysts, and other divisional Solution Architects on a wide range of technology projects, including software development, package installation and infrastructure upgrades and changes that may have impact across several technical areas including: processes, software, data, network and systems.
Got the skills and knowledge? Enjoy working on a team where your initiative helps everyone achieve higher goals? If this sounds like your kind of place, come check us out.
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Successfully performed in a Solution Architect role on multiple applications developed using Java enterprise technologies
Technical responsibility for multiple projects through their complete implementation lifecycles.
Detailed understanding of modern web application architecture at all levels of abstraction.
Experience with bundle, template, and component development on the Adobe CQ5 (Day CQ5) platform for at least one public website.
Expert on the situational appropriateness and architectural implications of Sling, OSGI, Spring, JCR/Jackrabbit, Hibernate/JPA, JMS/MQ, REST and SOAP
Demonstrable experience integrating with products in the Adobe Digital Marketing Suite, including Search&Promote, Test&Target, Recommendations, Site Catalyst, etc. highly preferable
Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
5+ years solution architecture experience with large-scale, mission-critical web applications
Expert Java J2EE technologies and frameworks experience, required
Expert understanding of Service Orient Architectures
Expert object-oriented analysis and design skills
Proficiency in creating and executing implementation strategies of the most complex systems.
Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) multi-channel retail company in the eCommerce area
Proven success collaborating with others for the achievement of business goals.
Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction of the business.
Developed skill-set using business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems and the pursuit of business opportunities.
Proven leadership skills
Ability to translate business needs into solution architecture requirements.
Ability to estimate the financial impact of solution architecture alternatives.
Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems.
REI - 20 months ago
REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. Founded...