Soundcheck is WNYC’s on-air and online destination for music fans to discover their ongoing personal soundtrack. It features insight from musicians, journalists and tastemakers, listener-created content, a blogger bullpen and daily Gig Alerts, plus in-studio performances representing what’s new and compelling in New York City. Listeners start the conversation at Soundcheck.org and continue it with host John Schaefer every weeknight at 9 p.m. on 93.9 FM and WNYC.org.
Internships: Soundcheck is accepting applications from students interested in helping out with the production of our radio program and web site. Internships require a three to four-month, two-day per week commitment (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.). There is a small daily stipend and past interns have received academic credit. They take place at WNYC Radio in New York City, where Soundcheck is produced.
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2013
- Web site content maintenance
- Social media maintenance
- Providing research assistance and basic audio editing
- Pitching ideas
- Checking in with guests
- Performing various menial tasks that are essential to the daily running of the office
- Applicants should be knowledgeable about music, arts and culture – and about how Soundcheck pursues those subject areas.
- Some journalism and office experience is preferred, but not required.
- Applicants should be highly motivated self-starters who can work in a deadline environment.
- Applicants should be comfortable with and knowledgeable about social media, including Facebook and Twitter. Please note any web publishing and social media experience in your application.
Send a cover letter and resume online. We also ask that you answer the following questions:
1. Describe two of your favorite Soundcheck on-air segments or digital features, and why you liked them. (Previous shows are archived on Soundcheck.org.)
2. Suggest two ideas for Soundcheck, either for an on-air segment or a blog post. (One short paragraph each) Feel free to suggest a guest or guests.
3. What other shows do you listen to / web sites do you visit regularly?
We must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
New York Public Radio is New York's premier public radio franchise, comprising WNYC, WQXR, The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space, and New...