Soundcheck is WNYC’s on-air and online destination for music fans to discover their ongoing personal soundtrack. It features insight from musicians, journalists and tastemakers, listener-created content, a blogger bullpen and daily Gig Alerts, plus in-studio performances representing what’s new and compelling in New York City. Listeners start the conversation at Soundcheck.org and continue it with host John Schaefer every weeknight at 9 p.m. on 93.9 FM and WNYC.org.
Internships: Soundcheck is accepting applications from students interested in helping out with the production of our radio program and web site. Internships require a three to four-month, two-day per week commitment (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.). There is a small daily stipend and past interns have received academic credit. They take place at WNYC Radio in New York City, where Soundcheck is produced.
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2013
- Web site content maintenance
- Social media maintenance
- Providing research assistance and basic audio editing
- Pitching ideas
- Checking in with guests
- Performing various menial tasks that are essential to the daily running of the office
- Applicants should be knowledgeable about music, arts and culture – and about how Soundcheck pursues those subject areas.
- Some journalism and office experience is preferred, but not required.
- Applicants should be highly motivated self-starters who can work in a deadline environment.
- Applicants should be comfortable with and knowledgeable about social media, including Facebook and Twitter. Please note any web publishing and social media experience in your application.
Send a cover letter and resume online. We also ask that you answer the following questions:
1. Describe two of your favorite Soundcheck on-air segments or digital features, and why you liked them. (Previous shows are archived on Soundcheck.org.)
2. Suggest two ideas for Soundcheck, either for an on-air segment or a blog post. (One short paragraph each) Feel free to suggest a guest or guests.
3. What other shows do you listen to / web sites do you visit regularly?
We must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
New York Public Radio - 19 months ago