The job of Teacher Assistant is done for the purpose/s of providing support to the instructional program within assigned classroom with specific responsibility for assisting in the supervision, care and instruction of special needs students in the regular classroom or in a self-contained classroom; assisting in implementing plans for instruction; monitoring student behavior during non-classroom time; providing information to appropriate school personnel; and attending IEP meetings.
: Building Principal
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives.
- Administers tests, homework, make-up work, etc. for the purpose of supporting teachers in in the classroom.
- Assists medically fragile or physically disabled students for the purpose of maintaining students' personal hygiene.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations (e.g. first aid, CPR, emergency procedures, etc.) for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Maintain instructional materials and/or manual and electronic files/records for the purpose of ensuring availability of items; providing written reference; and/or meeting mandated requirements.
- Monitors students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments (e.g. rest rooms, playgrounds, hallways, bus loading zones, cafeteria, parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Provides, under the supervision of assigned teacher, instruction to students in a variety of individual and group activities (e.g. academic subjects, social skills, daily living skills, etc.) for the purpose of reinforcing instructional objectives; implementing IEP plans; and ensuring students success in school.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
- Administers immediate first aid and medical assistance as instructed by a health care professional (e.g. diapering, tube feeding, colostomy bags, medication, etc.) for the purpose of meeting immediate health care needs.
- Communicates with supervising instructional staff, professional support personnel, and parents for the purpose of assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements under the supervision of assigned teacher, behavioral plans designed by IEP team for students with behavior disorders or other special conditions for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; operating standard office equipment including preparing and maintaining accurate records; administer first aid and/or prescribed medications; using pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific Knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: instructional procedures and practices; age appropriate student activities; safety practices and procedures; conflict resolution; and stage of child development/behavior; age appropriate activities/behaviors.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities; gather and/or collate data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with a variety of data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Some problem solving may be required to identify issues and select action plans. Program solving with data may require independent interpretation; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific Ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; working as part of a team; and working with constant interruptions; meeting deadlines and schedules; working with detailed information.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization's services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the jobs functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 25% walking, and 25% standing. The job is performed under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness and in a clean atmosphere.
Compensation and Benefits:
$17,064 (6 hours/day, 10-month position)- Prorated based upon start date
- Job related experience is desired
- Targeted, job-related education with study in a job-related area
- Illinois Educator License with Stipulations - Paraprofessional
Illinois Paraprofessional Letter of Approval
Illinois Professional Educator License required
2013-2014 Teacher Assistant Salary Schedule, Step 1
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension plan
- Life insurance
- Long term disability
- Flexible benefits plan
- Sick days
- Personal days
- Direct deposit
- Employee assistance program
Apply online at www.district65.net
Selected qualified candidates will be notified to schedule an interview.
Evanston/Skokie School District 65 - 8 months ago