Commonwealth Connections Academy, a “school without walls”, is an innovative virtual educational program serving K-12 students throughout Pennsylvania in a non-classroom-based environment. A learning team, consisting of a Parent/Learning Coach, a Certified Teacher and educational specialists, work collaboratively with students using a standards-based hybrid curriculum that includes both online and offline options. This is a unique opportunity to be part of an exciting new public schooling model that creates alternative teaching and learning options for students, parents and teachers by leveraging the latest technologies, capitalizing on recent policy initiatives and embracing a cutting edge approach to education.
Commonwealth Connections Academy is a public cyber charter school authorized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education . The school serves students in grades K–12 from anywhere in Pennsylvania. CCA is nationally accredited by the Commission on International and Trans-regional Accreditation (CITA) and the Middle States Association. 95% of all CCA parents agree their children are satisfied with the program in a 2012 survey.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Working from one of our offices in Pennsylvania, the Special Education Teacher will “virtually” manage instructional programs for students with special needs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Special Education Teacher will participate in all steps of the IEP process. They will work closely with other teachers and district professionals to ensure that the school’s special education program is successful and operating in compliance with federal and state regulations. The Special Education Teacher will utilize technology to deliver virtual instruction.
The Special Education Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
· Manage and provide instructional guidance, virtual teaching and general strategies for a caseload of students;
· Develop, write and help implement IEPs and 504 plans;
· Evaluate tests and assessments, complete report cards and conduct parent conferences;
· Communicate regularly with parents/learning coaches of students with special needs to insure that their IEP goals are being met, and that their needs are addressed in a timely and appropriate fashion;
· Consult with teachers and coordinate the implementation of specially designed instruction as defined in the IEP regarding students with specific needs and potential learning issues;
· Provide direct services to students including services delivered through web-conferencing software, as needed;
· Schedule, organize and conduct IEP related meetings in a virtual environment, as needed;
· Participate in the school’s Student Support Team; help teachers and learning coaches develop and implement program modifications and strategies for all students;
· Support, as needed, with the organization and proper implementation of all paperwork, documentation and procedures for the IEP process;
· Assist with locating service providers for students needing related services as mandated by their IEPs and negotiating then executing contracts with service providers for students requiring such services;
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date data in the school’s Learning Management System and special education software;
· Administer state testing and coordinate the special adaptations that are required based on the IEP; and
· Other duties as assigned.
· Degree in Special Education or related Education Field
· Valid Special Education credential in Pennsylvania
· Experience in policy (IDEA) and/or administration with Special Education
· Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· Customer focused approach
· High degree of flexibility
· Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
· Team player track record
· Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
Office locations: Harrisburg, Harrisburg Mid-Town, Lehighton, Bryn Mawr, Seven Fields, Williamsport, and Dickson City, PA
Connections Academy - 7 months ago
copy to clipboard