JOB TITLE: Specialist / Director of Advancement (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Advancement
JOB GOAL : YES Prep Public Schools seeks outstanding candidates to help us build a diverse, sustainable base of support in the external community. The Specialist/Director of Advancement will play a critical role in a multi-year campaign to help YES Prep raise funds to fuel its next phase of growth. This full-time position is located in Houston, Texas.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- With the VP of Advancement, develop a comprehensive plan to increase the pool of individual donors to YES Prep Public Schools
- Lead the effort to raise funds through YES Prep’s two flagship events: the Back-to-College Bash (held annually in the fall) and the YES Prep Texas Hold ‘Em Poker Tournament , including working with event chairs and volunteers; developing and executing an effective sales strategy; and using the events to deepen our relationships with supporters
- Maintain an active schedule of phone calls, visits, and other one-on-one engagement opportunities with donors and new prospects
- Manage relationships for a portfolio of individual donors and prospects with the highest degree of integrity, including but not limited to providing timely and relevant communication; planning and executing high-impact custom events; and engaging other members of the YES Prep team to provide a world-class donor experience
- Ensure that portfolio of donors receive timely acknowledgements, regular communication on the impact of their gift, and appropriate levels of engagement with YES Prep staff
- Maintain accurate data about donors and prospective donors; ensure that all donor information is treated with respect and confidentiality
- Collaborate with and support other members of the Advancement team toward achieving the overall team goal
- Collaborate as needed with the Finance and Grants teams to ensure that gifts are applied with fidelity to the donor’s intentions
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Track record of exemplifying YES Prep’s values and culture
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for the mission of YES Prep Public Schools
- An exemplary sense of accountability; an orientation toward problem-solving and results
- High degree of self-awareness, including a desire for regular feedback and professional growth
- Ability to sustain a high degree of intensity and manage competing priorities; thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required by donor schedules and events
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
Skills and Mindsets:
- Minimum of two years’ professional experience
- Experience in sales, fundraising, external relations, or comparable field strongly preferred
- Demonstrated success in managing effective relationships
- Outstanding presence with executive-level donors, including superior oral and written presentation skills and the maturity to gain the trust of YES Prep supporters
- An ability to think strategically and analytically; ability to execute with the highest degree of excellence
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to engage with individuals from a diversity of backgrounds
- Outstanding attention to detail and record of follow-through with commitments, including an exceptional ability to manage complex events and projects
- Ability to manage a budget for a large-scale project or event
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Length of Work Year:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
No more than 5%. Travel will be rare and based on specific donor opportunities.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation and title commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.