**ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY**
This position will sit in Dublin, OH.
1. Drives engineering and operations excellence
Collaborates with IT Architecture to develop technology roadmaps; engages vendors to complete roadmaps as needed
Drives adherence to industry best practices
Creates and implements standard builds/templates for all technology platforms
Develops and adheres to Nationwide Infrastructure Engineering Standards and is focused on reducing the amount of custom technology and solutions introduced into the environment
Drives solution improvements through optimization, enhancements and implementation of new features and functions
Works continuously with other Infrastructure Engineering teams and IT Architecture to ensure the success of infrastructure products
Conducts ¿Proof of Concept¿ labs for enhancements, new solutions and competitive bake-offs
Responsible for initial, preproduction aspects of capacity: drives requirements to meet current and future needs; tracks and periodically reports to understand current capacity posture; analyzes reports and delivery recommendations to remediate capacity issues; implements capacity enhancements based on recommendations
2. Continuously improves and enhances existing environments
Maintains proper software currency levels by implementing recommended upgrades
Ensures all solutions meet/exceed performance requirements
Collaborates with others to develop meaningful metrics that drive fact-based decisions on a given environment/solution
Conducts proactive and reactive monitoring to detect, predict and resolve abnormal conditions in the environment
Conducts disaster recovery planning, database backup and recovery planning as well as inventory and configuration management
Collects data, then supplies it to engineering peer teams for analysis and data-driven recommendations and decision making
3. Delivers infrastructure solutions and services
Designs standard and custom IT solutions for business partner projects, including pre-production testing, performance tuning, handoffs and certification
Delivers major infrastructure enhancements and changes
Leads technology optimization and migration efforts
Provides proper documentation and training as part of the Production Readiness Process
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager experience
- SQL Tuning
- 6+ years of experience in the database administration field
JOB SUMMARY: With full competency, designs, develops, tests, debugs and implements complex hardware/software components, tools, and utilities required for the operation, maintenance, and control of systems. Coordinates with users to determine requirements. Reviews systems under development and related documentation. Makes complex modifications to existing hardware/software to fit specialized needs and configurations, and maintains program libraries and technical documentation. May coordinate activities of the project team and assist in monitoring project schedules and costs. Acts as a formal and/or informal mentor to less experienced associates.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Manager/Director/AVP
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Analyzes, designs, develops and implements complex solutions, modifications, or enhancements to existing hardware/software applications or a suite of integrated systems for the company and/or a particular business unit. Identifies and defines new hardware/software technologies to fit specialized business needs and configurations.
2. Designs, develops, tests, debugs, documents, and implements complex hardware/software components, tools, and utilities including databases, middleware, and personal computer systems.
3. Executes all aspects of complex systems hardware/software engineering projects, which involve multiple disciplines and platforms and impact multiple business units or perhaps the entire company.
4. Executes configuration management, technical vendor management, problem mitigation, change management, and critical situation management to complex systems as well as their multiple platforms and software applications.
5. Performs the configuration/capacity planning, software product evaluation, systems performance analysis and optimizations for software/hardware systems.
6. Provides consultation and technical solutions to management on complex systems integration, compatibility, expandability, ease of use, and multiple platform issues as they relate to hardware/software.
7. Plans and conducts complex software/hardware product evaluations; develops and recommends technical strategies and solutions to management. Conducts assessments of risk, cost, and return on investment scenarios and impact as well as potential compatibility issues with existing hardware/software.
8. Installs complex hardware/software products by analyzing the current system environment, using technical tools and utilities, performing complex product customization, and developing implementation and verification procedures to ensure successful installation of systems hardware/software.
9. Designs, develops, tests, selects and implements new technical solutions, products and servers as they relate to hardware/software operating systems and applications.
10. Performs short-term strategic planning activities for the development and implementation of hardware/software systems architecture and technical guidelines. Responsible for the selection, directions and performance of engineering activities and analysis studies.
11. Ensures the currency of each environment through analysis and implementation of remediation plans.
12. Drives solution improvements through optimization, enhancements, and implementation of new features and functions.
13. Determines systems hardware/software requirements and design. Assists in the development and management of project budgets and deployment including the training of personnel.
14. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in computer science, management information systems, or a related field is preferred.
Knowledge: Proven knowledge in advanced operating and personal computer systems. Must have an in-depth understanding in multiple hardware and software platforms, products and applications. Proven knowledge in technical diagnostic and analytical tools. Understanding of project management concepts and techniques required. Thoroughly understands incident and problem management processes.
Certification/ Designation: Certification designation in Project Management or specific technology is preferred.
Experience: Six years of technical software and hardware development, installation, or operational support. Project management experience is preferred.
Skills: Must have the ability to analyze complex systems that have multiple platforms, widespread impact and call for interpretation and coordination of technical and complex fields of information. Must have strong analytical and decision-making skills. Must possess interpersonal savvy and well-developed project leadership ability. Must be able to perform financial and risk analysis on complex operating systems and platforms. Must have strong project as well as process management skills. Must possess negotiation skills. Must have strong oral and written communication skills to interact with all levels of personnel, senior management and vendors.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions: Staffing exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Vice President and Human Resources.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Non-standard or extended work may be required based on project needs.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to the principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 18 months ago