PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To provide safety & health protection and compliance support the Cleveland OH facility. Must be able to provide programs in the areas of IH, Safety, Environmental Compliance, accident/injury reduction, and loss prevention. Assist mid and upper level management with understanding and provide guidance on complex IH, Safety and Environmental regulatory activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
(1) IH, Safety and Environmental Support - Site Basis. Be able to review and approve complex operations and process for required permitting that involve IH, safety and environmental issues (i.e., Hot Work, Confined Space, LO/TO, Facilities Shutdown, air permits). Complete necessary environmental reports. Conduct necessary environmental monitoring and recordkeeping, as site activities/permits require. Review and approve new chemical operations or process procedures (Safety Procedures).
(2) Hazard Identification and Abatement. Conduct monthly audits of assigned areas with Departmental Managers and Safety Committees. Based on conducted inspections and audits, develop recommendations or corrective actions and assist management in implementing the recommendations and actions. Coordinate and lead incident investigations.
(3) Constantly evaluate current practices against regulatory requirements and industry standards. Based on the evaluations, suggest ways to apply the learning(s) and implement change by revising programs, policities, and procedures that improve the quality or content.
(4) Occupational Health, Safety & Environmental Training Programs. Conduct any required training on any IH, Safety or Environmental topic in a simple, easy-to-understand way, and complete all required documentation.
(5) Emergency Response and Preparedness. 24/7 response to emergencies. Report in a timely and safe manner to/as the Incident Commander or other responsibilities per assigned program call-outs (Fire/Smoke alarms, chemical spills), areas or operational alarms. Coordinate Emergency Preparedness for each site or facility of responsibility. Develop and conduct training for ERT members.
(6) Chemical Process Safety Program. Lead Process Hazard Analysis Teams. Coordinate Pre-Start Up Safety Reviews. Review and approve new operating procedures, equipment or process changes (Management of Change), considering safety and IH issues.
(7) Work with corporate EHS on addressing site improvement plans
(8) Development and implementation of EHS programs, compliance plans, and initiatives focused around company Safety & Environment principles, policies, goals, objectives, and various regulations
Education: BS in Safety & Health, Engineering, Industrial Hygiene or other closely related field
Experience: 5-8 years progressive IH, Safety & Environmental experience in a Chemical/Pharmaceutical manufacturing/ processing environment or closely related industry.
Essential and Critical Skills: Advanced knowledge of IH, Safety & Environmental regulations and standards (i.e., OSHA, EPA). Good industrial hygiene and safety practices, standards, codes and their application. Advanced knowledge and application of injury and illness prevention control methods, including Personal Protective Equipment, engineering controls (including advanced ventilation control measures) and application of administrative controls. Advanced knowledge of Ergonomic principles and design application, batch chemistry and chemical operations, loss prevention and fire protection systems, Emergency Response Procedures, HazWoper regulations, and training to the Incident Command level.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS:
May potentially work in or arround areas with chemicals, hot or cold temperatures, biological agents and products of human origin. This position requiers the person to walk and climb stairs, lift/carry/move equipment weighing up to 40 pounds as needed within their assigned work area or site. The employee would be exposed to the normal work conditions of the various operations with facilities. Walking, standing and possibly heavy physical exertion, depending on the conditions and events.
About Sigma-Aldrich: Sigma-Aldrich is a leading Life Science and High Technology company whose biochemical, organic chemical products, kits and services are used in scientific research, including genomic and proteomic research, biotechnology, pharmaceutical development, the diagnosis of disease and as key components in pharmaceutical, diagnostics and high technology manufacturing. Sigma-Aldrich customers include more than 1.3 million scientists and technologists in life science companies, university and government institutions, hospitals and industry. The Company operates in 35 countries and has nearly 9,000 employees whose objective is to provide excellent service worldwide. Sigma-Aldrich is committed to accelerating customer success through innovation and leadership in Life Science and High Technology. For more information about Sigma-Aldrich, please visit its website at www.sigma-aldrich.com.
Sigma-Aldrich offers a highly motivational and rewarding working environment with attractive salary, benefits, retirement, relocation and incentive packages including tuition reimbursement. Sigma-Aldrich fosters the growth of employees in a culture of respect and dignity with ample opportunity for career advancement.
Sigma-Aldrich is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Check the shelves of any research (or mad) scientist and you'll likely find Sigma-Aldrich's chemical products. The company is a...