Sports and Fitness Director
The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Chicago exists to express the mission and ministry of The Salvation Army through a safe, enriching and sacred environment where all individuals have access to opportunities to reach their physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potential. The Vision of the ChicagoKrocCenter is to touch individuals, families and seniors of the Southside with: Community – Wellness – Excellence – Character – Faith
The Sports and Fitness Director is responsible for the growth and daily operations of the Sports and fitness areas. Included are responsibilities for the gymnasiums, fitness center and all outside sports venues and fields.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- As a part of member of the RJKCCC Management Team plan will schedule, direct, and guide all public, private, and in-house activities within the Athletics, recreation and fitness department.
- Work to develop a comprehensive program of sports, fitness and health by the creation of leagues, classes, organized activities and rentals. Develop innovative service programs such as after-school, day camps and home-school programs.
- Create ministry opportunities and links for individuals and families to be connected to Christian education, character building and worship as it relates to their interest in sports and fitness. Examples are FCA, team bible studies, end of year banquets, etc.
- Create and maintain an office support system that will allow for timely and accurate record keeping, including the areas of statistical reports related to all sports, recreation and fitness programs, accounting of expenditures and other reporting as required.
- Assist with the annual budget preparation, specifically related to the Sports, recreation and fitness programs of the RJKCCC. With the coordination of the Business Department, document all expenditures and other income as they are experienced.
- Continue to improve and expand sports facilities as the market directs and budgets allow for further growth.
- Responsible for the management of the sports and fitness portions of the facility to include providing recommendations on capital improvements and equipment replacement.
- Community Liaison
- Work cooperatively with community groups and local professional teams to develop mutually beneficial athletic programming.
- Leadership to Staff
- Give supervision to the Indoor Sports and Recreation Manager, Outdoor sports and recreation Manager and Fitness Center Manager.
- Ensure all areas have competent and trained employees, committed to the mission of RJKCCC and The Salvation Army.
- Direct the staff of the Sports, Recreation and Fitness programs.
- Assist in the writing and maintaining of sports, recreation and fitness staff job descriptions as required.
- Work in cooperation with Human Resources Coordinator to process all personnel hire, change, and termination cases promptly.
- Review all punch detail reports for staff and make sure that they are processing daily, time exception reports, absence reports, vacation requests, etc.
- Process all evaluations (probationary and annual) in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all full-time and part-time staff receive training in Safe From Harm and proper guidelines are followed.
- Maintain clear channels of communication with staff, volunteers and program participates. This will include the creation of internal memos, schedules, flyers, newsletters and one on one discussion.
- Meetings and Communication
- Works in a cooperative manner with the other on-site directors of the RJKCCC program. This includes the reporting of all statistics and outcome projects of the center related to your programs.
- Work with marketing staff to promote program materials that attract new members and revenue. This includes opportunities for fund raisers in each program or sponsorships so that each program can be self-sufficient within the Kroc formula of financing.
- Attends all scheduled staff meetings and management team meetings.
- Coordinate activities with the other on-site directors as necessary.
- Facilities/Safe Working Environment
- Develop systems that safe guard any and all facilities, supplies and equipment related to the Sports and Fitness Program of the RJKCCC.
- Maintain a safe working environment through training of staff and maintenance of equipment.
- Maintain safety standard procedures and develop ongoing safety training for all Sports and Fitness equipment.
- Report all problems with facilities to the appropriate facility staff and management team.
- Ensure the attractive appearance and cleanliness of the Sports and Fitness areas.
- In collaboration with the Facilities Director, establish an on-going preventative maintenance program for Sports and Fitness areas.
- Leadership is provided for other KrocCenter projects as assigned.
This individual will be evaluated on how effectively the outcomes of this position are achieved as well as how effectively the mission and objectives of the RJKCCC are met.
This position directly supervises and Indoor Sports & Recreation Manager, Outdoor Sports & Recreation Manager and Fitness Center Manager.
This individual interacts with a wide range of contacts both within and outside The Salvation Army. In these contacts they act as representative of The Army and its mission.
This position reports to the Kroc Director of Operations.
This position directly supervises the Indoor Sports and Recreation Manager, Outdoor sports and recreation Manager and Fitness Center Manager.
This individual interacts with a wide range of contacts both within and outside the Salvation Army. In these contacts they act as a representative of the Army and its mission.
As a member of the Leadership Team, this position’s duties are integral to the accomplishment of the missions and objectives of the RJKCCC. As a result the individual in this position must be clearly aligned with the mission of The Salvation Army, in a manner such that they can both articulate and advocate for the accomplishment of the KrocCenter’s mission and vision for the community.
This individual will not commit Army resources that have not been allocated or approved; fail to adhere to all Army policies and procedures in carrying out the responsibilities of this position.
This individual will not fail to keep the RJKCCC Director of Operations or Senior Kroc Officer abreast of all critical issues and decisions relating to his/her area of responsibility.
In conducting the duties of this position, this individual will not fail to support the mission of The Salvation Army or to accurately represent the mission or teachings of the Salvation Army.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do moderate physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to use standard office equipment and a PC. Also, they will have to be able to participate in play and carry heavy sports equipment from time to time. At times they will be expected to participate in community center activities. The work environment for this position includes a community center environment with a medium to high noise level. This employee may be required to drive on occasion. Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
Grade Level: Exempt RFT
THE SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Business or related field
- Minimum of five years’ experience in:
- Starting Leagues for sports and recreation.
- Running after school programs.
- Managing the sports and fitness aspects of an indoor comprehensive recreation facility.
- 2 years as a director of a sports facility or program component with an annual budget of $1.5 million or more for which they were responsible.
- Have or obtain within three months, a valid Illinois Drivers’ License and insured transportation and be able to meet The Salvation Army’s requirements.
- A strong commitment to promote the mission of The Salvation Army with a passion for seeing the integration of Christian faith and services in a community center setting.
- A philosophy of education and child development which is consistent with that of the RJKCCC and The Salvation Army.
- A demonstrated ability to manage projects, priorities and programs in a constantly changing environment.
- A communication and management style that exhibits the principles and values of the Salvation Army.
- A leadership style that fosters team relationships to accomplish objectives and solve problems and crisis in a professional manner.
- A service orientation; anticipating and responding to the needs of clients, employees and management.
- The demonstrated ability to speak before large and small groups with poise and enthusiasm.
- The ability to work with children, parents, and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling and education.
- An extensive knowledge of large community centers offering a wide variety of programs and services.
- The knowledge of how to relate to children and adults in a manner that displays a sensitivity to their needs and a respect for their worth as individuals.
- An understanding of children’s educational and recreational needs, and appropriate positive discipline methods.
- An understanding of how to supervise staff and participants of varying education levels and diverse cultural backgrounds.
Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered volunteers....