Human Rights First is a dynamic, U.S.-based advocacy organization that has worked for over thirty years to leverage U.S. law, policy, and influence to promote human rights around the world.
Human Rights First has a reputation for pragmatic, results-oriented advocacy that is politically astute, grounded in facts, and driven by sophisticated legal and policy analysis. We focus our efforts not on making a point, but on making a difference. We know from experience that human rights progress is more durable when diverse partners work together to bring about change, so we build strategic, non-partisan alliances to support our objectives. We pride ourselves on this practical, inclusive approach. It works.
Human Rights First values high quality work product, a collaborative and supportive work environment, respect for diverse viewpoints, creative approaches to problem solving, flexibility and adaptability of skills, accountability for results, and commitment to lasting change.
Human Rights First welcomes applications for interns in its Fighting Discrimination program. The program pays a particular focus to upholding freedom of expression and freedom of religion- and notably human rights violation caused by blasphemy laws.
The intern will be based in our New York office and will be expected to commit to 21 hours of work per week for a minimum 8-10 week period.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supporting program staff through factual research on initiatives concerning the freedom of expression, cases of human rights abuses caused by blasphemy laws around the world;
- Monitoring the international press on questions related to blasphemy laws;
- Synthesizing news, relevant reports, and general information into periodic blog posts on topics related to our programs core interests;
- Reviewing and editing program materials;
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Current undergraduate (preferred) or graduate student at a U.S.-based institution;
ANNUAL SALARY : This is an unpaid internship.
START DATE : ASAP
SUBMISSION DEADLINE : Open until filled. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
APPLICATION PROCESS : Please complete the online application
You will be requested to provide:
- Resume (upload)
- Cover letter (cut/paste)
- Writing sample (cut/paste) of your choice, no longer than 5 pages please
* After completing the initial application and uploading your resume, please select VIEW PROFILE and UPLOAD ATTACHMENT to upload additional documents. You can also log into your profile from the top of the Job Opportunities page. When logged into your profile, you can upload cover letter, writing sample, and any other relevant documents by selecting UPLOAD ATTACHMENT at the top of the page.
Applicants will receive a confirmation email with their username and password once theyve created a profile. Please keep this information to access your application and make changes at any time.
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Human Rights First is a non-profit, nonpartisan international human rights organization based in New York and Washington DC. We build respect for human rights and the rule of law to help ensure the dignity to which everyone is entitled and to stem intolerance, tyranny, and violence.
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, developing, and promoting staff across all programs and departments from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTI people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives help make our advocacy work stronger and more effective.
Human Rights First - 16 months ago