Basic Function and Scope of the Position:
Genomically influenced health and illness management is quickly becoming a reality for physicians, patients and everyday consumers who will explore, visualize and engage with genomic information real-time through mobile electronic tools. Illumina invented the innovative MyGenome app as a means to explore a real human genome, find out about possible health implications, and view reports about important genetic variations. The MyGenome app provides a simple, intuitive, and educational interface to get an individual started on their journey of genome discovery and learning. This educational tool is just scratching the surface of possibilities allowing users to explore our current understanding of variation in the human genome with results displayed in a graphically accessible format.
The Senior Product Manager, Consumer Applications will lead the strategic direction and product road map of Illumina’s mobile tools and web interfaces for medical professionals, patients and everyday consumers using genome information to understand and manage illness and wellness. This professional will be immediately responsible for MyGenome product evolution as it’s increasing used by consumers as a result of the mainstream media feature stories. The Product Manager is ultimately responsible for leading concept generation and product development of future genomic visualization, education, engagement, and reporting tools on mobile devices and web-based portals.
The roles and responsibilities for the Senior Product Manager, Consumer Applications include overall strategy development of Illumina’s mobile and web-based product offerings, management of product life cycle from R&D through sustaining activities, market research, technical oversight of in-house development, analysis of build/buy/partner models, relationship management with commercial partners, and coordination of communication and inputs across multiple departments including the Illumina Clinical Laboratory, Quality, Medical Affairs, and Regulatory to ensure proper alignment of message and product features/benefits.
The Senior Product Manager, Consumer Applications will have an entrepreneurial spirit, a “Silicon Valley” experience set, strong communication and interpersonal skills, and a unique combination of clinical and direct-to-consumer market knowledge as it relates to genomics, and business acumen to make the MyGenome app and follow-on products the benchmarks in real-time personal genome engagement.
This is an exciting opportunity at the worlds most innovative biotech company to truly impact the future of healthcare as we know it.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Own the mobile and web-based tools marketing plan including market segmentation analysis, SWOT analysis, pricing/COGS models, sales channel, promotional strategies/tactics, etc.
• Manage small technical teams to achieve goals within defined target timeframes and budget.
• Closely partner with the Understand Your Genome symposium committee, direct-to-consumer business team, and Illumina Clinical Laboratory, as key customer channels for the MyGenome app and follow on mobile products.
• Stay current and report on market activities in direct-to-consumer and mobile clinical applications, and define, defend and lead development of differentiators including making the case for the requisite budget or partnership for portfolio/product expansion.
• Maintain customer satisfaction, profitability/gross margin targets, revenue goals, and unit forecasting.
• Develop support materials (internal and customer-facing) for specific applications and set product specifications in collaboration with related departments.
• Develop and implement worldwide strategic plans for the product application to maximize adoption in the marketplace.
• Collaborate with the Marketing Communications group to develop external and internal product messaging and implement tactical programs.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in mobile and/or web-based tools design, development and/or marketing.
• MBA in Marketing a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in life sciences, genetics or related field of science a nice-to-have.
Preferred Experiential Background:
• 3+ years experience leading product management and marketing of mobile and/or web-based technology, ideally involving genetics for consumer health management.
• 2+ years managing business metrics associated with social media preferred.
• Knowledge of direct-to-consumer genetics market as it relates to applications in health management, ancestry tracking, and/or social interactions.
• Demonstrated product life cycle experience.
• Excellent project management and organizational skills.
• Excellent communication and team management skills.
• Strong presentation skills for internal and customer-facing communications.
• Familiarity with marketing research techniques.
• Sales or customer facing responsibilities a plus.
• Must be very detail oriented.
• Must embrace change, be a self-motivated, and flourish in a start-up-like environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer
Illumina, Inc. - 30+ days ago
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze...