Johns Manville is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Sr. Research Engineer to develop and implement next generation of sizing for reinforcement glass for JM businesses globally.
Johns Manville Technical Center is a 325,000 sq. ft. facility located on 81 acres in the Rocky Mountain foothills southwest of Denver. It is the home of corporate R&D, capital project management, and is a customer service center for the Insulation and Roofing business units. The facility, built in 1973, includes accommodations for laboratory, pilot production, and office space. The JMTC laboratories feature state-of-the-art capabilities in the areas of product and process development, characterization, and testing.
Relocation assistance is available for those who qualify under our relocation policy.
- Evaluate sizing chemicals on lab bench, pilot and production scale.
- Plan and execute scale-up trials with Operations and Business
- Develop lab scale mimic tools or pertinent analytical techniques to quantify the product attributes or underlying phenomena.
- Investigate sizing chemistry and process by working with JMTC pilot bushing. Use characterization techniques to study the glass-sizing-matrix interactions to develop next generation of E glass for reinforcement.
- Travel to manufacturing plants globally to implement new product concepts, or to optimize existing products and processes in the area of reinforcement.
- Initiate and maintain collaborative development with customers, research institutes and universities. Lead product/process trials at external laboratories/pilot facilities.
- Use material characterization techniques to collect property and process data; and develop structure/process/property relationships.
- Determine project priorities and resource allocation with business / operations leadership, I&C, and supply chain.
- Present concepts, research plans, project updates and milestones internally to peers and senior management team and externally to customers.
- Work closely with business teams and serve as the technical lead for project reviews, planning and executing production trials and solving internal product issues/customer complaints.
- Use statistical analysis to analyze data and design experiments.
- Participate on, or lead cross-functional teams.
- Develop and update strategy for sizing chemicals that aligns with business and operations strategies.
- Operate pilot scale equipment such as extruder, molding machine, etc.
- Complete a detailed review of existing patent space with IP counsel and external IP counsel resources if needed. File ID’s and patent applications as IP is generated.
- Hands on work with laboratory and pilot equipment and purchase and maintenance of pertinent research equipment
- Keep abreast of market intelligence on competitor’s technology and product platforms and provide feedback to R&D group and business team.
- Education: M.S. in Chemistry-related discipline (e.g. Chemistry, Materials Science,
Polymer Science, Chemical Engineering).
- Candidate to have 3 – 5 years experience in reinforcement /composites industry.
- Project leadership with minimal supervision.
- Plant, Production, & Scale Up experience.
- Familiarity with analytical characterization techniques for fiberglass and polymer composites.
- Knowledge and experience of statistical analysis.
- Ability to work with plants, vendors and external customers.
- Ability to work on short time scale projects.
- Ability to handle high pressure situations (internal and external to JM)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of people (business,operations, technical, supply chain, customers, suppliers)
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with people from other cultures
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to negotiate for resources and effectively delegate responsibilities
- Ability and experience to understand implications on a global marketplace
- Embrace change management as a core competency in a fast-paced, highly changing environment.
- Self-starter capable of originating ideas and executing against initiatives
- Proof of technical successful project completion.
- Experience with wet-laid nonwovens or fiber-reinforced composites would be a plus.
- Experience in developing sizing formulations would be a plus.
Additional consideration given for:
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Demonstrated track record of success in achieving results through influence and expertise, working in cross functional, matrixed, global environment.
- Demonstrated Proficiency in basic computer tools – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio
- Familiarity with routine literature & patent search methods.
- Experienced in public presentations.
JM has a long history of sustainable efforts and strives to continually improve our sustainability practices through a focus on innovation, productivity and leadership that ensures we meet the needs of current stakeholders without sacrificing the needs of future generations.
For additional information please read our
Johns Manville (JM), a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial...