Posting Title Sr. Consultant - Integration & Automation - Pacific Northwest About Us VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and mid-market customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. We enable people and organizations by radically simplifying IT through software virtualization with a focus on three core missions: End-User Computing (EUC), Hybrid Cloud and Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC).
Join our community – instigators of innovation and transformers of technology – as we envision and create what’s next in IT. Get connected to an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are passionately driven to make an impact while contributing back to the community. Learn more at vmware.com/careers today! Job Description The Senior Consultant within the VMware Professional Services Integration and Automation Team will be responsible for customizing, developing and deploying integrated solutions based upon VMware products. They will work closely with Business Consultants and Project Managers to ensure successful implementations within time and budget. This is a customer-facing role that requires travel throughout the US. When not performing billable client work, consultants will also take part in various activities that may include working with product development team, developing Intellectual Property that can be leveraged by VMware on custom engagements, supporting pre-sales technical teams and developing associated training products. In addition, they will take part in self-improvement and learning activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Typical activities will include custom development, configuring, implementing and deploying out-of-the-box and tailored solutions using best-practice templates and the consultant’s knowledge of industry practices.
- Design & develop integration solutions involving multi-tiered virtual resource management applications using various software technologies including: Java, C#, ASP.Net, Web Services, .NET, database systems, and third-party vendor tools, APIs and CLIs.
- Possess a solid technical foundation and good working knowledge of a wide range of enterprise IT products and technologies, including various hypervisors, virtualization platforms and management tools.
- Coordinate with Marketing, Support, and Sales Engineering to understand customer problems and troubleshoot issues and bugs in Proof of Concept engagements and/or customer production installations.
- Manage your own technical tasks, including requirement analysis, design, implementation, unit test, integration, configuration, and management of bug tracking, source control, documentation, and other software engineering applications & hardware systems.
- Understands client’s business needs and effectively communicates solution details
- Develops solutions that maps VMware products and solutions to business needs
- Develops trusted advisor relationship with client team members
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
- Design and deliver custom integration of VMware applications
- Support completion of requirements
- Complete Configuration/Customization
- Lead efforts during an implementation to setup/install application, work with customer on network/performance issues
- Understand VMware Professional Services implementation methodology and use components as required to complete project assignments; be involved during requirements and design reviews; provide input to management on customer status and issues.
- Travel as necessary to support customer requirements (approximately 50% travel).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced start-up environment with a small team of dedicated engineers to creatively solve challenging problems and work with tight deadlines under pressure. Able and willing to perform other related technical duties when called on to help out the team.
- Team player and self -starter with excellent communication skills. Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills including functional requirements specifications and design documentation.
- Capable of working with minimum supervision. A self-starter with demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and effectively manage your own deliverables and schedules.
- Proficiency in software engineering processes including source control and bug tracking. Previous experience working for a commercial software company is a plus.
- Understanding of enterprise IT operations, for example, Windows and Linux OS deployment practices desired. Experience with virtualization products and their associated tools and management applications, such as VMware ESX, XEN, Microsoft Hyper-V, are desired but not required.
- 5+ years of experience working in a software engineering organization.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- The ideal candidate will possess strong software development skills and have experience working with geographically dispersed teams. We are looking for people with experience in IT infrastructure management domain with strong technical expertise in enterprise products. He or she will have a passion for designing scalable enterprise scale applications. He or she should have understanding of various deployment architectures, has experience creating integration frameworks and designing for extensibility.
o Automation of Virtual Environments leveraging APIs to integrate application, network, and databases.
- A Bachelor Degree as a minimum in one of the following disciplines: information systems, computer science, software engineering and/or mathematics. Advanced degrees are considered a plus.
- Software development / programming experience is required.
- Technical competency in .NET, C#, MSSQL, and object-oriented programming required, ASP.NET experience desired. Experience with Java and C++ desired, but not required.
- Knowledge of Windows required, Linux and UNIX operating systems desired.
- General understanding of networking issues, systems administration, and database administration
- Detailed understanding of virtualization technologies.
- Exposure to one or more of the following:
o Integration with Ticketing systems, IPAM, or Helpdesk and telecom applications such as Remedy and ServiceNow.
o Automation design and development using VMware vCenter Orchestrator
o Experience with performance monitoring tools, such as VMware vCenter Operations Manager or similar.
- Previous experience in customer-facing situations is required
- Maintains appropriate and professional demeanor when communicating and interfacing with customer either in person or via telephone
- Produce deliverables that satisfy client requirements
- Develop detailed task plans/technical approaches for projects
- Demonstrate effective time management
- Provide successful solutions to client business/technical issues Location Seattle, WA, US Is this a remote or multiple location position? Yes Requisition Number 43517BR EEO Statement VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment. Note To Applicant: Please disable your pop-up blocker prior to clicking “Apply”
VMware - 19 months ago
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and...