Based out of Santa Monica, California, The Sr. Counsel for Comedy Central Business & Legal Affairs will have primary responsibilities relating to scripted development and production matters, but will also be responsible for sketch comedy, tentpole event specials, animation and original digital development and production matters.
• Structure, draft and negotiate, with minimal supervision, a high volume of development and production agreements, including production service agreements, executive producer agreements, writer agreements, director agreements, co-production agreements, license agreements, rights acquisition agreements and talent/test option agreements.
• Oversee production legal for numerous, varied productions simultaneously, working with a broad range of departments (Production Management, Labor & Employment/Production Risk Team, Risk Management, Litigation, Music & Media Licensing and Pre-Broadcast Content Review) to implement production legal policies and procedures.
• Advise various Comedy Central departments (Programming, Production, Marketing and Promotion, Talent, Special Events, Online, VOD, Rights Management, etc.) in connection with complex business and legal matters.
• Develop and supervise creation of deal structures, parameters and documentation templates and forms.
• Maintain relationships with key managers, agencies and attorneys in the entertainment community.
• 7 + years of experience at entertainment law firm and/or media entertainment company with substantial experience in scripted television development and production.
• Extensive and in-depth knowledge of entertainment transactions and ability to operate independently with minimal supervision.
• Must be detail-oriented and possess superior drafting, negotiation, organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to top-line issues for senior network executives on a daily basis and communicate in a clear, concise and succinct manner both verbally and in writing.
• Solid working knowledge of guild (WGA, DGA, AFTRA and SAG) and union regulations and issues, related legal trends and business practices.
• Previously established relationships with key talent agencies, production companies, animation houses and entertainment lawyers.
• J.D. from top law school with California Bar membership.
• Must have a cooperative, positive, team-oriented approach.
• Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships with senior network executives.
• Must be a self-starter, exhibit the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, have a take charge attitude and be a quick study in all things television development and production.
COMEDY CENTRAL, the only all-comedy network, currently is seen in more than 98 million homes nationwide. COMEDY CENTRAL is owned by, and is a registered trademark of, Comedy Partners, a wholly-owned division of Viacom Inc. COMEDY CENTRAL's Internet address is www.comedycentral.com .
Viacom - 20 months ago