SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER, MECHANICAL
POSITION OVERVIEW : LI-COR Biosciences is looking for a creative and innovative senior level mechanical engineer to join our team of expert engineers and scientists to develop the next generation of precision optical and electronics instrumentation in our Environmental product line for applications such as global climate change and plant physiology research, food production, and trace gas measurement.
QUALIFICATIONS OVERVIEW : The ideal candidate will have a BSME (MSME a plus), 7+ years of mechanical design experience (5+ with a MS) in the mechanical design, development and testing of optical and electronic instrumentation deployed in outdoor environments. They will have extensive experience with mechanical 3D CAD software (Creo preferred), be experienced with CFD simulation software, have very strong analytical and problem solving skills, have a high level of technical knowledge, and be experienced in opto-mechanical design, electronic packaging, heat transfer, mechanism design, materials and design for manufacturing and test. Knowledge of GD&T a plus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION : Create, design, build and test mechanical and opto-mechanical subsystems for LI-COR products in a multi-disciplined, concurrent development team setting. Engage in product definition and mechanical architecture development in collaboration with Users and Marketing. Interact with both internal and external manufacturers to support new product designs and current product manufacture. Perform and/or direct mechanical testing to ensure product meets specifications and expectations. Support the manufacturer of both current and future LI-COR products.
A. EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science or Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering or its equivalent is required.
B. EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
· Minimum of 7 years’ experience with BS, 5 years with MS, or proven performance in mechanical design for electronic instrumentation is required
· Demonstrated creativity and mechanical design abilities
· Demonstrated engineering analysis capabilities
· 3D CAD/drafting experience (GD&T experience desirable)
· Familiarity with electronics packaging/enclosures design
· Sustained record of independent creative design activity and expertise with electronics packaging/enclosure techniques and mechanical testing (stress, vibration, thermal)
· Sustained record of product development and problem solving experience to enable leading the mechanical design team through the development process
· Ability to mentor and train others to accomplish technical goals
· Demonstrated mature technical judgment
· Demonstrated understanding of engineering fundamentals and mathematics
· Sustained record demonstrating initiative and motivation
· Demonstrated creativity in generating and testing new products, applications or technical ideas
· Demonstrated interpersonal and networking skills by mentoring individuals, team participation, facilitating small group activities, group teaching, seminar presentations or customer communication
· Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills in English
· Demonstrated dependability, team player, positive attitude and good attendance
· Demonstrated high ethics, integrity, honesty and patience
· Mechanical design team leader in the product requirement definition, mechanical architecture, design and implementation of mechanical and opto-mechanical subsystems
· Interface with Users and the Marketing department concerning product features and functions
· 3. Make Customer visits to understand applications Use two and three-dimensional CAD to design parts
· 5. Research potential hardware products
· 6. Build, test and troubleshoot prototype designs
· 7. Integrate and test mechanical subsystems into final product
· 8. Function as Project Leader when assigned
· Gain a basic understanding of the problem being addressed with the product
· Assist with project development schedules
· Keep documentation of design and updates.
· Review trade publications for new parts, techniques and ideas
· Mentor other engineers
· Light Work-Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly
· Other job related duties as assigned