First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
This position will work with an elite group of seasoned wind energy development professionals in the critical proof of concept phase of the development/construction process in the US. As a Sr. Electrical Engineer , youll be responsible for technical leadership of the power systems portion of wind farm developments, construction and operations. Youll be the first line for resolving the engineering review and evaluation of multiple development and construction projects. The day to day activities have a wide degree of variety involving multiple projects simultaneously. This position requires the ability of up to approximately 40% travel.
This position can be based at either of the First Wind corporate offices in Boston, MA, Portland, ME or San Francisco, CA.
· Support requirements to finalize scope of work for facility interconnection requirements and agreements through equipment specifications and construction requirements. Knowledgeable in load flow analysis. This sounds like what Tom Siegel does (is there overlap and if so, should we remove it?
· Provide leadership and team support in specifying and procuring electrical equipment for substations, transmission, collection systems, and turbines for the wind energy facilities.
· Provide technical leadership and oversight of electrical engineering design work by third party engineering firms.
· Project management including layout of detailed project plans, monitoring, progress and management reporting of design and engineering review.
· Demonstrate leadership in protective relay systems and coordinate plant SCADA system specifications, project design and installation.
· Provide power systems technical support, NFPA70E, FERC support as directed by department head.
· Manage fleet protective relay and digital fault recording operations.
· Provide leadership in generating facility preventative and predictive maintenance programs.
· Provide root cause analysis of power systems and equipment related issues including cost based analysis as directed by department head.
· BSEE in power systems from an accredited university, MSEE preferred
· 7 to 10 + years of experience in electrical power systems engineering
· Demonstrated experience with standard construction documentation review and construction monitoring, inspection and commissioning of MV and/or HV plants
· Understanding of substation and transmission line design and load flow analysis
· Demonstrated experience with FERC requirement management
· Experience with protective relay coordination, system operations, and disturbance analysis.
· Provide leadership and management for fleet wide facility preventative and predictive maintenance programs
· Candidates must be available and willing to travel up to 40% of the time for periods of up to a week at a time.
· Experience in wind farm power system design, construction and/or operations
· Advanced degree in electrical engineering with power systems emphasis
· Professional Engineer (PE) license, or ability to obtain same
· Experience with power purchase contracts, electric power system regulatory compliance, and market structures
· Demonstrated experience in generation control interaction in large and micro grid systems.
· SKM Power Tools
· Schweitzer Relay Programing
At First Wind, wind is the first and last item in its business model. The vertically integrated energy company (formerly UPC Wind) develops,...