Headquartered in Santa Ana, Calif., Edison Mission Energy (EME) is a holding company whose subsidiaries and affiliates are engaged in the business of operating, owning or leasing, acquiring, developing, and selling energy and capacity from independent power production facilities. Some of the facilities are operated on a merchant basis, with energy and capacity being sold into the competitive marketplace, and others are operated under contracts calling for the delivery of energy to utilities and other purchasers. Operating revenues are derived primarily from the generation and sale of energy and capacity from coal-fired power plants and a portfolio of natural gas and wind projects, as well as energy trading.
- Performs financial reporting functions in accordance with established EME goals, policies and procedures to conform with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), SEC reporting requirements and EME accounting guidelines.
- Completes monthly and quarterly analyses to support financial reporting for EME and Midwest Generation LLC, including but not limited to the monthly flash and management performance reports
- Applies SEC reporting rules in the preparation of EME and its subsidiaries external reports (i.e. Form 10-K, Form 10-Q, Form 8-K).
- Research, analyze and document technical accounting issues.
- Assists in coordination of the documentation and updates of EME and subsidiaries’ internal control over financial reporting to meet the requirements under Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act
- Provides information to external auditors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field. CPA required and active status is a plus. Advanced degree is a plus. Minimum of six years of audit and/or SEC reporting experience. Big 4 public accounting experience a plus.
Computers and Databases
- Must have a thorough understanding and working knowledge of current generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), financial accounting standards and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting requirements.
- Must have experience with multiple entities or locations, consolidations and variable interest entities.
- Must have strong analytical skills.
- Effective communication with all levels of personnel within and outside the company and the ability to function as a team player is required.
- Must have ability to handle multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- Must have ability to work under pressure and meet reporting deadlines.
- Experience in mapping and review of XBRL documents.
- Must be proficient in the use of Word and Excel.
- Must have track record of implementing process improvements.
- Experience in generating reports and performing queries on SAP accounting system is a plus.
- Experience in the independent power industry is a plus.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Lotus Notes
- Microsoft Office Suite
This is primarily an office environment with moderate to medium noise levels. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, and to operate standard office equipment. The position occasionally bends, stoops, reaches, pushes and pulls drawers to retrieve file information and lifts and carries boxes that typically weigh less than 10 pounds. This position may require some domestic travel.