Engineers - Civil
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and the world's 11th largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Austin staff as a Sr. Group Manager-Transportation.
Under general direction, supervises the staff and work production of a large technical work unit. Provides leadership, direction and technical guidance to staff to ensure that quality technical services are provided to clients and that the technical work unit meets its operating performance targets. Manages project production, project acquisition/client relations, and financial management of the work unit to ensure quality, client satisfaction, continued production backlog, and profitability of all projects within the work unit. Typically responsible for annual revenues over $5M and over 40 staff.
Complexity: (Variety or uniqueness of tasks; relative difficulty or importance of work performed; size of unit supported, etc.): Manages project production, project acquisition/client relations, and financial management for a large technical work unit. Typically responsible for annual revenues over $5M and over 40 staff.
- Staff Administration: Identifies work unit staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections. Initiates actions to recruit, hire, and terminate staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Recommends salary levels for new hires and initiates salary and position adjustment actions for staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development. Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and work unit objectives/company needs. Advises staff concerning company policies and procedures; monitors and enforces compliance. Reviews and makes approval decisions on staff requests for vacation, leaves of absence, business travel, continuing education, professional development, office equipment purchases and payment of straight-time overtime for exempt personnel within the constraints of budgets and authorization limits.
- Project Production and Management: Develops and maintains project work plans and production workload projections; monitors manpower requirements; takes appropriate actions to ensure project deadlines are met according to schedule and priority considerations. Works with project managers to ensure projects are properly scoped, budgeted, scheduled and managed; appropriate Oracle data has been entered and is maintained; monthly client billings are timely and accurately completed; outstanding accounts receivable are followed up on and collected; and monthly project percent completes are completed and entered in Oracle. Oversees financial performance of projects being produced and/or managed within the work unit; identifies potential problem projects, and directs remedial actions to ensure that projects in trouble are identified and remedial actions promptly taken to ensure positive financial results and client satisfaction. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed on work unit projects. Conducts periodic QA compliance audits on current or recently completed projects. Assists Project Managers within the work unit in resolving problems with other work units.
- Marketing and Client Maintenance: Participates in the development of the annual and strategic plans and carries out those components that relate to the work unit. Actively pursues new project opportunities for the work unit and the firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective clients; participates in the evaluation of new project opportunities and recommends go/no-go action to senior management for further consideration and approval. With other technical managers as appropriate, identifies project proposal preparation and interview teams, and develops project marketing budgets subject to review and approval by senior management. Identifies and works toward the resolution of client relations problems. Maintains visibility and professional currency by participating in civic and professional organizations, and encourages staff to do the same.
- Contracts and Financial: Participates in preparing for and conducting contract negotiations with clients and subconsultants. Participates in the review and approval of contracts and contract addenda with clients and subconsultants. Reviews and recommends project budgets for approval by senior management. Initiates purchase requests for capital items for approval by senior management. Provides input and recommendations concerning final write-offs and past-due accounts receivable.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Decision-Making: (Supervision received; independent judgment or initiative; consequence of error): Works independently under general direction. Makes approval decisions as specified in the Authorization Matrix. Accountable for quality, client satisfaction, continued production backlog, and project profitability for the work unit.
Internal Contacts: (Required interaction/relationship with others within the organization): Interfaces with senior technical professionals, technical managers, and administrative staff and managers throughout company.
External Contacts: (Required interaction/relationship with others outside the organization):
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering or Construction Management. Post graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
This level may be achieved by technical professionals or technical managers with 15 years of experience since B.S., with at least three of these years in positions with project management or supervisory responsibilities. Experience with providing construction engineering and inspection services on large urban construction projects. Familiarity with TxDOT Standards and Specifications. Ability to market and sell work by cultivating existing or new client relationships and manage staff is required.
TxDOT, city, county and contractor relationships a big plus!
Candidate will be residing in the Austin area with responsibilities that cover San Antonio and Houston as well.
Excellent technical and interpersonal skills. Proven ability to manage individuals and teams, provide leadership, and manage project production. Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to clients, key public officials, and the community in general.
TX PE (Professional Engineer) is required.