Responsible for providing consistent interpretation and application of human resource policy/ training programs within Garland Power & Light including consulting services related to recruitment analysis, special projects related to employment matters and performance/compensation programs. Also assists HR Department as needed/assigned.
Essential Job Functions
Research and analyze trends and metrics in partnership with GP&L/HR Department to recommend solutions, programs and policies to management. Assist in the development of these policies and programs in areas including recruitment, compensation, training, performance management, benefits, and training/development.
Collaborate with GP&L management, employees, applicants, and vendors with a sound understanding of the regulations/requirements of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) , Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and other energy-related employment needs of the organization.
Develop job descriptions of GP&L staff using Position Description Questionnaires, desk audits, market data, etc and correctly classify positions in the appropriate job grade and pay range for the essential duties performed.
Provide guidance and maintain compliance to Fair Labor Standards Act as it applies to job classifications, pay processes, and compensation practices in GP&L. Provide ad hoc analysis including reclassifications, re-assignments and salary recommendations as requested.
Assist with management in recruitment activities including representing GP&L as a recruiter at Energy seminars/conferences, conduct interviews, administer selection tests and assist with the hiring of personnel.
Work closely with GP&L management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
Work with GP&L supervisors to train them in the use of the City performance management system as well as coach them in ways to conduct an effective and meaningful performance appraisal.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Human Resources, Business Administration or other related field of study
- 5-7 years experience in Human Resource operations and functions with 3 years experience in the Electric Utility Industry
- Considerable knowledge of Electric Utility Industry
- Knowledge of ERCOT Protocols and Operating Guides
- Knowledge of NERC Reliability Standards
- Knowledge of principles, theories and practices of the various functions of Human Resources
- Knowledge of significant federal, state and local laws pertaining to Human Resources
- Microsoft Office skills including Excel, Access, Outlook and Word
- Skill in preparing reports, graphs and spreadsheets
- Skill in performing analysis on a wide variety of HR related issues
- Ability to effectively communicate goals and objectives
- Ability to take on new responsibilities and generate new ideas
- Ability to take initiative and work autonomously
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
5 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
City of Garland - 23 months ago