Posting Title Sr. MTS – Lead, vCenter Scalability Team About Us VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 400,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. As a team, our employees thrive on forward momentum. We are an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT through cloud computing. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are a passionate, innovative and driven group of people inspired by the opportunity to actively learn and contribute something back to the broader community. Connect with us at www.vmware.com/careers. Why work for our Division VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China. Job Description The Datacenter Platform organization is responsible for vSphere, our Core Virtualization Infrastructure, and Solutions for Enterprise Virtualization.
VMware's vCenter platform team is seeking a strong software engineer to participate in scalability effort for the entire vSphere management stack. As the vSphere product support for cloud evolves and an ecosystem of solutions grows around it, a new architecture is needed to handle the software lifecycle management needs of thousands of hosts and millions of virtual machines. If working on large real-world distributed systems problems, anticipating future customer requirements and delivering them on an aggressive schedule motivates you, then this job is for you.
- Define the strategy to continuously improve scalability of key vCenter subsystems including Vpxd, Inventory Service, Next Generation Client (NGC), VCDB, etc through architectural and implementation enhancements.
- Demonstrate an ability to understand complex system architectures and come up with creative solutions to scalability & performance problems.
- Hands on troubleshooting of configuration and scalability issues in large scale setups; develop tools to simplify troubleshooting.
- Prototype solutions to scalability problems and partner with vCenter development teams to implement optimizations.
- Closely work with Product Management and the field to define a ranked list of end-to-end workflows that closely mimic user stories in large-scale customer deployments.
- Work with the vCenter System Test QE team to develop a cohesive set of strategies to deploy and test large-scale deployments.
- Establish good design and coding practices and drive other teams to improve scalability.
- Mentor Junior Engineers.
Requisition Number 39350BR
- MS or Ph.D in computer science, engineering or math.
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with deep knowledge of data structures, algorithms, multi-thread programming, and software design.
- Experience developing large scale client-server or distributed applications in C++, C or Java.
- Understanding of system architecture, including processors, storage and networking is highly desirable.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience in building systems-management and monitoring applications a big plus.
- Comfortable developing for both the Windows and Linux environments.
- Proven ability to deliver commercial quality software.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of team.
- Excellent communication skills and must be able to interface with customers as necessary. Location Palo Alto, CA, US
VMware - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in...