Amazon Kindle is a revolutionary reading device, the #1 best-selling product, most gifted and most wished for product on all of Amazon, and one of the most innovative and fast growing businesses at Amazon.
As a passionate, results-oriented, hands-on software development manager, you will lead engineers in the design, implementation, testing, and deployment of scalable websites that will provide new ground-breaking services to publishers and authors via our Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) platform. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing consumer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. Prior experience with the design, implementation, and management of high-traffic web portals in the content or community spaces is preferred.
You are first and foremost, a “doer” who consistently finds a way to achieve great results for meaningful yet challenging initiatives. You will build and lead talented and agile teams of software developers in the completion of new and emerging products. You will maintain an agile software development lifecycle, responsive to the dynamic business realm of Kindle. To be successful in this role, you will excel at collaborating with peers to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
The ideal candidate thrives in a “start-up” environment and has significant experience with consumer web products.
- Responsible for the overall development lifecycle for world-facing web portal and a set of supporting back-end services.
- Manages a team of leads and engineers to plan, design, and deliver complex, broad scale systems that span several departments or functions.
- Regularly conceives proposes and sells new ideas, strategies, and processes in engineering; drives their implementation directly or through other managers – to a final product.
- Responsible for overall productivity of engineering team and product quality of software development activities.
- Serves as primary decision maker in evaluating new external technologies specific to his/her business area and participates in evaluation of new, shared, cross-group external technologies. Defines and enforces broad, company-wide technical standards.
- Collaborates with other technical leaders across Amazon who own other services to manage project dependencies where needed.
- Manages the most complex projects with significant bottom-line impact, while also participating directly in development of the product.
- Oversees planning process and delegation for new initiatives across teams and/or departments.
- Justifies resource and budget needs to more senior managers and finance partners.
- Functional thought leader, sought after for key tech decisions. Can successfully sell ideas to an executive-level decision maker.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 10+ years of experience as a software developer and/or technical project lead
- 5+ years’ experience managing people
- Solid Java development background including design patterns, data structures, test-driven development and OO concepts
- Experience in building fault-tolerant and high-transaction tiered applications with service-oriented architecture
- Software development experience in Linux, MySQL, Oracle, Web Services technologies, Cloud-Compute platforms, Java application development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
· Deep hands-on technical expertise
· Strong business and technical vision
· Familiarity with scaling large data sets utilizing distributed, no-SQL solutions (such as Dynamo DB).
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
Amazon.com - 13 months ago