Summary of Responsibilities:
Produces or modifies computer programs of all sizes and complexity. Solves systems and program problems. Recommends courses of action on new application jobs, while considering the total system spectrum, from source document origination to final systems output and handling. Handles extensive research, analysis, definition and documentation on all facets of the job. Recommends the appropriate hardware solution (Personal Computer, LAN, Mainframe, Client Server, etc.) for the application. Provides mentoring support for less experienced programming staff. Works with minimal supervision and is responsible to make an established range of decisions, escalates to manager when necessary and updates manager on a regular basis.
- Researches, designs, defines, develops, tests, documents and implements new computer applications or changes to existing applications following Western & Southern Financial Group (WSFG) standards.
- Installs software packages and/or personal computer software.
- Assures that hardware and software operate efficiently.
- Utilizes programming tools effectively to ensure accuracy and enhance productivity.
- Assembles and analyzes data relating to processing problems, soliciting help as needed from IS and business unit associates.
- Consults and/or advises business unit associates by written and/or oral communication on inquiries concerning existing or proposed systems.
- Participates in committee meetings on developmental projects, large-scale improvement projects and internal Information Services’ technical committees. May chair committees and/or subcommittees.
- Provides training and mentoring to other programming staff, systems managers, business unit management or business unit associates on technical topics or systems definition.
- Handles multiple assignments with multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Proven significant programming experience (e.g., research, design, gathering requirements, working with business units, developing programs, testing, documentation, production support). Cite examples demonstrating this experience.
- Proven experience in advising programming associates on both technical (e.g., writing programs, testing standards) and application (e.g., business knowledge, system definition) facets of the job. Cite examples of advising programming associates.
- Proven strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience identifying and quantifying problems and providing effective resolutions. Cite examples of good decision-making skills when dealing with multiple alternatives.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively within a team. Provide examples of motivating co-workers in difficult situations.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to convey information to internal and external customers in a clear, focused and concise manner.
- Provide examples of working under multiple deadlines and minimal supervision. Cite examples of successfully organizing and effectively completing projects where given little or no direction.
Computer skills and knowledge of hardware & software required:
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate selection criteria experience.
Certifications & licenses (i.e. Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):
- Proficient in specific programming languages required by the individual business unit.
- Proficient in word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Extended hours required during peak workloads or special projects.
- Handle problems, installations, calls, etc., off-hours as required either remotely or by returning to work.
- Carries pager for on-call responsibilities.
Western & Southern Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company, is a dynamic family of diversified financial services companies that provides life insurance, annuities, mutual funds, retirement planning and investment products and services to help millions of consumers nationwide to plan and protect their financial futures.
With more than 5,000 associates and more than 50,000 individuals in our selling group, Western & Southern offers consumers and businesses the financial products and services they require to meet their insurance needs and investment goals. Having reached more in excess of $50 billion in assets owned and under management, we are leveraging our industry leading financial strength to fuel our growth through strategic acquisitions, increases in our current product revenue stream and expansion into new distribution channels and businesses.
Western & Southern provides a host of benefits that include medical, dental, life, pension, 401K, free fitness facility, on-site cafeteria, and generously subsidized parking. Western & Southern promotes a stable, fulfilling and challenging environment with an emphasis on excellence and continued career development.
Western & Southern Financial - 10 months ago
Columbus Life Insurance wants to be out in front, just like Christopher Columbus's famed Santa Maria, which the company adopted as its...