United States-California-San Diego
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and the world's 11th largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our San Diego staff as a Sr. Project Manager-Water/Wastewater.
Under direction, provides professional and project management expertise in the direction of highly unconventional projects requiring multiple technical units and/or subcontractors, heavy regulatory agency involvement or extremely complex technical requirements. Functions as mentor to project managers and associate project managers to assist in their training and development. Also performs the basic project functions of production coordination, planning, organizing, directing, controlling, financial management and marketing.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
- Coordinates and participates in contract negotiations with clients and subcontractors, and drafts very complex professional service agreements, arranging for their review and execution by senior management. Conducts QCAP reviews of less complicated professional services agreements.
- Directs project team compliance with contract terms, monitors subcontractors' progress, performance and compliance with contractual commitments; participates in contract dispute resolution and litigation concerning project performance, administration and other liability issues; reviews and approves subconsultant and vendor invoices, and resolves payment disputes.
- Develops, communicates and manages project quality assurance, administrative procedures, communication guidelines, project deliverable formats and specifications, and progress reporting requirements.
- Monitors schedules, billings and reports; ensures appropriate charging of manhours, costs and expenses to projects; assists in obtaining payment from clients; resolves client disputes and adjusts billing records as required; communicates project progress/status to senior management and alerts them of project production, quality control or financial performance problems.
- Identifies new business opportunities for the firm, coordinates and participates in project presentations to clients and other external groups, and promotes firm's capabilities, marketing its services among existing and prospective clients.
- Participates in project opportunity evaluation, consultant selection, and in the preparation of firm's qualification/experience statements.
- Coordinates communications between internal and external associates and client, and between firm and regulatory agencies. Maintains frequent contact with clients and regulatory agency personnel to determine their respective needs and requirements, and serves as expert witness at project hearings and judicial proceedings if necessary.
- Supervises other project managers, technical professionals and other design staff including managing weekly project workload and manpower forecasting.
- Conducts project management training workshops and serves as mentor to associate project managers and project managers.
- Monitors and reports financial status of projects to technical managers.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Bachelor's degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering. Graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus. This level may be achieved with ten years of experience in project production and technical professional activities, four of these working as a project manager.
Candidate needs to have a minimum of 10 years experience with the planning and design of water/wastewater facilities (pump stations, pipeline, treatments plants, etc.).
Professional Engineer (PE) license required.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and devise appropriate solutions. Ability to work under the pressure of multiple projects. Travel may be required. For those positions where frequent local travel is required and no company vehicle is available, incumbent must own, and be legally able to operate, a motor vehicle. The vehicle must be in good working order, and insured. Mileage reimbursement allowance will be available.
Atkins - 2 years ago
Atkins is one of the world's leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to...