Established in 1989, National Interstate is one of the leading specialty property and casualty insurance companies in the country. We offer more than 30 different insurance products, including traditional insurance, innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs for commercial companies and insurance for specialty vehicle owners. We are able to provide innovative and customized insurance products because of the talented and dedicated members of our team. National Interstate employs over 500 employees in offices in Northeast Ohio, PA, HI, and MO.
Identify risk and influence change within the insured’s organization to eliminate risks that may result in property damage, injury (3rd party or Work Comp), or legal liability. In addition to OSHA, and DOT compliance, the risk manager provides consultative support to the insured regarding safety issues including, but not limited to safety policies, training, injury mitigation, accident mitigation, root cause analysis, incentive programs, safety campaigns, and progressive disciplinary processes.
On Site Evaluations
- Individual will be responsible for providing risk management services to National Interstate insureds across various product lines, including captive (alternative risk) customers. Manages vendors to ensure NIIC standards are met when internal resources are not available to conduct the onsite evaluation.
- Communicate to senior management within NIIC and the motor carrier as to what risk issues exist and provide a plan to minimize risk
- Conduct On Site inspections and complete a Risk Assessment Score by evaluating the Safety Culture, Best Practices, BASIC scores, and losses.
- Provide comprehensive reports with your findings and recommendations to the insured and to NIIC management.
- Proactively follow up on critical recommendations to ensure they are addressed with appropriate action plans.
- Provide consultation to insured’s on all safety matters to assist them with reducing or eliminating their risks.
- Manage vendors when needed to ensure Best Practices are followed appropriately.
- Complete analysis of loss data, claim reviews, large losses and communicate trends.
- Investigate risks, exposures and accidents using root cause analysis.
- Review large loss reports to ensure steps for further accident prevention or injury mitigation are put in place.
- Provide training to Individual and group captives, product management, and risk managers through Webinars, on- site visits, group or individual presentations, and other meetings where safety may be a topic.
- Present or assist with the development of presentations as a subject matter expert at industry seminars, safety workshops, board meetings or other safety meetings.
- Provide Risk Management Services orientation to new or prospective accounts/agents.
- Willingness to obtain risk management certifications or other designations
Projects and Other Duties as Assigned
- Ensure on site evaluations are completed professionally and all risk management information is entered into the Risk Management Tracker timely.
- Ensure updates on critical recommendations are provided to Risk Management Manager, Product Management, and Sr. Management in accordance with Best Practices.
- Provide Risk Management with monthly report regarding critical issues, site visits scheduled/completed, training, and other relevant topics
- Participate in projects involving Risk Management
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university.
- Insurance industry knowledge (for example: claims) or risk management knowledge a plus. Prior transportation experiences a plus.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management and policyholders.
- Ability to act as ambassador for National Interstate.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Possess a high degree of independent judgment and latitude.
- Thorough proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency working with internet and online services.
- Ability and willingness to learn new computer software programs such as Point.
- Travel Requirements: 41-50%
National Interstate Insurance Company - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard