Higher One Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ONE) is a leading company focused on creating cost-saving efficiencies for higher education institutions and providing high-value services to students. Higher One offers a wide array of technological services on campus, ranging from streamlining the institution’s performance analytics and financial aid refund processes to offering students innovative banking services, tuition payment plans, and the basics of financial management. Higher One works closely with colleges and universities to allocate resources more efficiently in order to provide a higher quality of service and education to students.
Founded in 2000 on a college campus by students, Higher One now serves more than half of the higher education market, providing its services to over 1,250 campuses and 10.5 million students at distinguished public and private institutions nationwide.
At Higher One, we believe that every employee is critical to our success! Our innovative services depend on the energy, values, hard work and dedication of our employees. As we continue to grow, we look for others who are also committed to retaining a small-company feel while moving us to the next level!
This position is in the Campus Labs division, in Buffalo, NY. The Campus Labs team works closely with colleges and universities using data- focused tools to impact student success and engagement as well as to streamline and improve assessment and institutional effectiveness efforts.
We're always on the lookout for strong software developers who are interested in contributing on a team, learning from their peers, and are passionate about writing clean, solid code that provides ever-increasing value to our customers.
Why should you come work with us?
Our teams. We use Scrum as our agile development framework. You'll be sitting with your team every minute of the day - there is constant communication. The only walls we like are the ones that hold our whiteboards. We have product owners who overflow with excitement about the features they are pushing for. We have support across the company for doing agile correctly. Our teams plan together, commit together, and then focus on the best way to get it done.
You will contribute. You're encouraged and expected to bring your own ideas to the table. Whether you're sharing a new tool or a design pattern with another developer, or advising a product owner during a sprint planning session, the goal is the same: Our teams and our products thrive because thrive because everyone is focused on writing the best quality software that delivers what our customers need.
Ownership. Our developers have a pride of ownership in everything we do and are looking to constantly improve our products, our development experience and the technology choices that influence both. There are no developers or architects sitting in the corner deciding what your code will look like and what frameworks you're using. Be part of the conversation.
More specifically, here are some things that you'll encounter in your daily work as you design, build, test, debug, and talk about our applications. If the reasons above sound good to you, and you feel you can contribute on the list below, you might thrive on our development team.
If this sounds promising, see if you have what we're looking for.
- The entire .NET technology stack, especially where it meets the Web (ASP.NET MVC, WebForms)
- SQL Server 2005/2008: Schema design, query construction and data wrangling
- NHibernate (and other ORMs)
- Test Driven Development
- Inversion of Control tools (StructureMap, Windsor, etc.)
- Mocking frameworks
- REST/WCF/Web Services
- Web/DB performance profiling, debugging, and tuning
- An obsession for writing secure code in a multi-tenant environment
- Fearless knowledge of what to do when IIS on a production site starts returning HTTP 500
- SOLID development practices
- The avoidance of complexity. Simple, elegant designs. Loose coupling and single responsibility.
- A willingness to apply all of the above to a singular goal: Delivering the software that our company needs to help our customers succeed.
- BA/BS – Bachelor’s Degree required
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, 401K, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
- Flexible work hours
- Casual dress
- 20 Paid Time Off Days per year
- 8 Holidays per year
- Free lunches
- Fun events